Chemo not worked plan B immunotherapy

• 8 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hi my dad sadly was diognosed in April age 79 has been as fit as a fiddle all his life and this come out of the blue. He had three chemo sessions which absolutely battered him but he loves life andBroken heartas willing to try anything. He only had a couple of good days before he started his next cycle. He had a scan last week the sad news is that it has not works for him and has now spread to his chestBroken heartavity. Heartbreaking Broken heart to go through all that but he had to try. They also think the fluid is coming back after the talc op which seemed to work for a while. The good news I think is that they are not giving up on him and have suggested Immunotherapy and sending him for a brain scan first steroids until then. Just want to be able to keep him and mum a bit more positive as they seem so low understandably. I think the new treatment is supposed to help slow down the cancer and has only just come available here . Has anyone else had experience with this?  Sending love to all families going through this dreadful situation xxxx 

• Hi and welcome to the Online Community. I'm sorry to read your Dad's chemotherapy wasn't successful but his team have now suggested immunotherapy.

I've a different type of cancer and haven't had these treatments so I'm sorry I can't offer any advice or share experiences so I hope the members here come along soon to chat but this is quite a quiet forum. If you type Immunotherapy into the search bar at the top of the page you might get some answers but bear in mind, as you said, this has just become available.

That's the worst thing about cancer diagnoses - they often come completely out of the blue and totally floor us and we're unprepared for the unknown. Advances in cancer treatments are always thankfully in the wings so I hope this treatment that's just become available slow down the growth.

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep writing the same thing over and over. You can amend or update it at any time. 

To find more information covering diagnosis and treatments there are pages covering most types of cancers which can be found on our Online Information and Support Section

The Macmillan Support Services also offer lots of information, support, financial guidance or just someone to listen. It’s free to call 0808 808 0000. Most services are available 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look by Clicking here to see what is available and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two to three working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs B xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Take a look at my profile, some of it may help 

good luck 

• Hi Amy01, 

My dad was also diagnosed in April aged 73. He had 3 rounds of chemo which unfortunately didn’t work for him and the cancer progressed. He’s just had 2 rounds of immunotherapy and they have compared his x rays from 3 months ago and the cancer hadn’t progressed so they’re going to continue with the immunotherapy. I can understand what you’re through, it’s a horrible situation to be in xx

• Thank you so much for your reply. Amazing news that the immunotherapy is keeping your dad stable. Must be such a relief. Dad has his bloods on Friday before starting but he had a terrible week is so weak and tired I just praying they don’t say he not strong enough. Sending you a big hug and thinking of your family xxxx 

• Don’t lose hope, my Dad was like that too after having the chemo, he lost a stone but since starting the immunotherapy and a course of steroids he seems to of built some strength back but continues to be breathless. Thinking you all too, it’s a horrible journey to be on! We’re just having to take the small wins at the moment and try and enjoy all the time we have xxx 

• Hello 27 you are so lovely replying with all your own worries but I showed mum and my sisters and bro the same situation tou have been in. Really helping to keep the hope alive. Thinking of you and your dad and indeed all your family. He is very lucky to have you. Makes such a difference having such good support. Fingers crossed for my dad and continued best wishes for your dad. Big hug xxx 

• Hi Amy

My husband was diagnosed in June 2018 at the age of 68.  He had 6 rounds of chemo which were horrible but did halt the progress for another 6 months.  He then went on the Confirm trial for immunotherapy as it wasn't available on the NHS.  We spent 8 months driving to Taunton - 40 trips at 120 miles round trip - only to find out he was on the placebo.  However his progression was slow and then in August last year NICE approved immunotherapy so he had that from September until March this year.  Unfortunately that did not work and he is now going to have Viinorelbine which is chemotherapy taken as a pill every week.  I have no idea how this will affect him as he is a lot more frail than three years ago, but we understand it is not as aggressive as the chemo he was on first.  It is so sad to watch someone who was so active decline, although we are very lucky as he is still able to get about and do some of the things he loves at the moment.  Keep positive as things change all the time and new treatments come on board.  Has anyone reading this got experience of Vinorelbine?