Melanoma

A support group for anyone affected by melanoma to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

Two stage WLE

Irondad
Posted by

Hello everybody,

At the end of December I was diagnosed with a stage 1 melanoma on the inside of my shin.  I was referred for a WLE and met with the surgeon last Friday.  He thought that it would be quite tight, but doable under local anaesthetic and without a skin graft.  I have just received a call from the hospital letting me know the dates of the WLE.  It is going to be carried out in two parts, each a week apart.  I have never heard of this before and wondered if anybody has had experience of this?

Thanks in advance,

A

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community and I'm very sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with melanoma. 

I can't recall anyone in the group mentioning that they'd had a WLE two weeks apart but that doesn't mean that there isn't someone here who has had it done like that. 

It may be an idea to give your SCNS a call and ask her why the WLE is being carried out two weeks apart. When you find out it would be great if you could let us know in case anyone else asks in future.

x

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

Irondad
Posted by

Thanks Latchbrook, I'll post on here when I find out any info.

Katybb
Posted by

Hi

I’m sure I’ve read something about this before, but just had a quick google again and can’t find it. I’ve got a feeling that what I read originally was to do with the face, but I couldn’t swear to it. I think the delay was something to do with checking the margins before closing the wound in difficult places - possibly about needing a skin graft but waiting until they were sure so it wasn’t wasted... 

Hopefully you’ll be able to get an actual answer that isn’t guesswork! Best of luck whatever the reason!

Kate