We understand that people with cancer are worried about coronavirus. Here is the latest guidance. We will update it regularly.

Melanoma

A support group for anyone affected by melanoma to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

Feeling discombobulated

KTatHome
Posted by

Hi all, I thought this might be the best place to do an update. Oncology and Surgery discussed the risks versus benefits of surgery and as the biopsy showed necrosis and the node could no longer be felt, surgery was off not a preferred option and we’d see what the next scan revealed. I had those scan results yesterday. 

The scan said the November rogue node had reduced in size, another new one higher up an external iliac node was now showing as 23mm but they can tell from the scan that this also is necrotic. Considering one dose of  was missed at Christmas and two nodes are now enlarged the hospital team were taking a very positive attitude about the necrosis showing on the scan and Pembro continues. I was relieved it wasn’t worse and as I can feel again that things have shrunk since the scan I will keep my positive head on for the moment. I was trying to park any worry until the results came together with the worry that the results might not be ready. I think that’s been a bit easier but then I’ve also been on the Macmillan HOPE course for the past few weeks as well, coping with uncertainty is a big topic. 

My scan was a nightmare day as I had to leave home at 6:40 to get there on time and then after 4 cannula attempts I had to have a temporary line put in. So yesterday was a doddle blood test done on first attempt  Seen by oncology 30 mins early scan results ready

That all reminds me of the three positive things post I sometimes like to do and a gratitude type diary I need to do for Hope course homework. 

KT 

What is a Community Champion?

You can call the Macmillan Support Line on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or contact them by email.

Katybb
Posted by

Well I think that’s good news! It must be disconcerting knowing new bits keep popping up, but big up the Pembro and your immune system for doing their job!

I’m sure it’s not easy, but it sounds like you’re doing really well coping with the uncertainty. Well done you and big hugs from me. Xx

Kate

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi

I'm glad to hear that everything went smoothly yesterday and that you were seen early by oncology! I take it as a success if I'm seen on time but I know now to take something to occupy myself as dermatology always seem to be running behind.

I'm sure you were pleased that they no longer feel the need for surgery and I think that taking their positive attitude as a big positive is certainly the way to look at it. Not sure that last sentence made sense.

xx

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

lgrgdg90
Posted by

Hi KTatHome

I am also pleased things are running smoothly.Its good no surgery is required and go and treat yourself to something nice. Xx

Lgrgdg90
Sailor2
Posted by

Hi KTatHome,

Looks like a good result all things considered. I've decided that everytime my scan results/ appointments with the oncologist don't tell me something else is wrong is now officialy a win!  Though I did wince for you reading about the four canula attempts...

Your HOPE course sounds interesting; make sure you get that homework done and you'll be top of the class I'm sure. Which of course will mean you can award yourself a great reward...

Take care

J

Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and find it!

KTatHome
Posted by

Thank you all for your responses.

Hi , I always take something to do aswell, usually codewords, I hadn’t even had time to take them out of my bag, as blood test and weighing were running a bit behind. But a nice surprise to get things out of the way quickly. Sometimes oncology can run 90 minutes late as they like to give people the time they need to ask questions. 

Hi , Pembro and immune system need to work a bit faster, or it’ll feel like I’m never come off this treatment! I hope everything is well with you. 

, we did treat ourselves to lunch out that day prior to the appointment to make sure we were a bit more chilled out. You’ve just reminded me I haven’t planned a treat for tomorrow after treatment. 

, oh cannula attempts ! I hope everything goes smoothly tomorrow, I must be sounding like a right Diva but it can get really painful at times. I’d been meaning to do the HOPE course for a while and it is interesting, it’s only going onto 6 weekly treatment that I felt I could do it, and this one’s timing seemed just right. 

KT 

You can call the Macmillan Support Line on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or contact them by email.