Melanoma

A support group for anyone affected by melanoma to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

Worry

jhill2701
Posted by

Husband was diagnosed with Stage 1a melanoma early October. Still waiting for WLE. Noticed he has a swollen gland in his neck tonight. He has had a cold recently and this maybe the reason for the swollen gland but I can’t help but worry, given his recent diagnosis. 

Kath McM
latchbrook
Posted by

Hi 

As you say, it may be that your husband's recent cold has caused his lymph node to swell but it's natural to be worried.

If you take a look at this leaflet produced by BAD (British Association of Dermatologists) you'll see that they recommend that if your husband is worried about the enlarged lymph node to contact his SCNS. She will then arrange for him to see the consultant usually, in my experience, within 2/3 days.

Of course these things always happen at a weekend but at least that gives your husband a couple of days to see if it goes down before ringing his SCNS.

x

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

jhill2701
Posted by

Thank you for the advice. I’ve told him to keep an eye on it & follow your advice. He thinks I’m over reacting because the melanoma was on his lower back. He seems to think that if it was to spread to a lymph node, it would be more likely to be in the groin? I’m sure I’ve read about it spreading to distant sites though. Will definitely hound him keep checking it over next couple of days. 

Kath McM
latchbrook
Posted by

Hi Kath

I was wondering how your husband was and hoping that his lymph node was no longer troubling him.

x

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

jhill2701
Posted by

Hi , 

Thanks for asking. He is still waiting to have swollen lymph gland in his neck checked. He did get the WLE (lower back) done yesterday though. His GP called him today to let him know she’s arranged for him to have a scan of neck done on Friday. The waiting & not knowing if it is anything sinister is awful. At least we have news of scan but from some of the comments on here, I’m guessing we could have a bit of a wait for the  results. 

Kath McM
latchbrook
Posted by

Hi Kath 

That's good news that your husband has had his WLE and I hope he's not feeling too sore.

As you quite rightly say though he now has to wait for results from that and from his scan. Has his GP liaised with his dermatologist over the scan? 

Do come back and let us know how he gets on. 

x