Melanoma

A support group for anyone affected by melanoma to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

SLNB

MH20
Posted by

So I've opted for a SLNB with my WLE and am awaiting the appointment to come through. I'm extremely anxious about the risk of lymphedema following the surgery and feel like it's bound to happen to me! I'm stressing out more over it than the melanoma!

Has anyone suffered from lymphedema following SLNB and, if so, was it permanent? 

MH20

"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship."

~Louisa May Alcott

KTatHome
Posted by

Hi , in the absence of someone replying to you with experience of lymphoedema, I thought I’d pop in to say it’s something I was concerned about when I had my lymph node in my groin removed, I think it’s more likely when you have a full lymph node dissection, and even then it’s not a done deal that you will get lymphoedema. 

I wondered if you’ve read the Macmillan info and support section, I’ve put the link in below incase it’s useful.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/melanoma/coping/side-effects-and-symptoms/lymphoedema#161581

best wishes

KT 

What is a Community Champion?

You can call the Macmillan Support Line on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or contact them by email.

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi

The risk of lymphoedema was the main thing that worried me about having a SLNB. When I went for my pre-op I quizzed my surgeon about it and he said that he'd done more than 500 SLNBs and only a couple of people had had long term lymphoedema caused by it. I decided that since he had a good track record to go ahead and I didn't have any problems.

Let us know how you get on

x

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

KTatHome
Posted by

Hi  I noticed that the ask an expert lympoedema is open at the moment it might be worth a read of some of the questions and answers in there and seeing if you wants put a question in their yourself. I’ve put the link below.

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_experiences/ask_the_expert/ask-about-lymphoedema/

Best wishes

KT 

You can call the Macmillan Support Line on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or contact them by email.

MH20
Posted by

Thanks for replying everyone. I'm still worried but it's something I'll just have to get over I think. 

MH20

"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship."

~Louisa May Alcott