Melanoma

A support group for anyone affected by melanoma to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

Husband with stage IV melanoma

VeronicaP
Posted by

9 years after removal of the primary, 3 years after being signed off follow up (which was simply examination of the scar and feeling the lymph nodes in his armpit). Last week noticed a blue mole on his chest, and a lump under the armpit, there was also a lump on his flank that had been there for a few weeks. Yesterday saw a dermatologist friend who removed the mole and lumps and confirmed stage IV melanoma. We are shell shocked and wonder what lies ahead. Oh yes, he also has a cough.

VeronicaP
latchbrook
Posted by

Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

Nine years after your husband's initial diagnosis you would have thought that he would be safe from any further problems with melanoma. So I can understand what a tremendous shock it must have been for you both to discover that it's back.

There are people in the group who are stage 4 and are currently undergoing treatment and hopefully some of them will be along soon to tell you about their treatment experiences. This information from Macmillan might also help you understand what treatment options are available for your husband.

You could also use the search facility within the group to look for previous posts about stage 4 melanoma. 

When you have a minute it would be really useful if could pop something about your husband's journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

KTatHome
Posted by

Hello , your head must be spinning at the moment if it was only yesterday that your husband had his mole removed. I think it’s really good that you were both being so vigilant still after being signed off for follow up. I am a bit confused that the dermatologist has confirmed melanoma already as I would have assumed that the biopsy results would not yet be ready to confirm that, unless she is saying that she thinks that what the results will come back as. 

Have you been referred to oncology? for an appointment to discuss what happens next and the choices you have for Immunotherapy if it’s required. My history with melanoma you can read if you are interested in my profile my clicking on my user name on the site.

You say you wonder what lies ahead, the one thing I know of is lots of uncertainty, but thank goodness in the last nine years there has been progression in treatments prevention of melanoma spreading further and for when surgery isn’t possible. So I hope that there will be positive times ahead for you and your husband.

Best wishes

KT 

Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or contact them by email.