Melanoma

A support group for anyone affected by melanoma to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

Left groin dissection

Wendy100
Posted by

How long did people have to keep their drain in for ?

Wendy 
lgrgdg90
Posted by

Hi It varies from person to person but I had the drains in for 14 days.I had to stay in hospital for that length of time but I have read others have been sent home with the drains in which would have been a better option.

I wasnt in any pain and found it rather stressful stayin* for that length of time.My husband visited most day twice and we lived 20 miles from the hospital. 

Lgrgdg90
lgrgdg90
Posted by

I meant to add I found the lymphodema nurse very helpful as I did develop lymphodema and still have it in my left leg. I was given at hospital conflicting advice and was told to get bicycle shorts but couldn’t get them over my drains . I think trying to get moving and gradually increasing exercise is a help and also swimming is good as it isn’t weight bearing. You must also rest and try to eat a healthy diet. I found this difficult in hospital. Good luck with your recovery. If you work it is good to get occupational health involved as I was a teacher and they suggested not doing playground duty so I could rest. Also elevating the leg when you rest is helpful.I had a lymphatic massage and it was free at first from cancer care and I decided to continue with it and pay each month.

Lgrgdg90