Melanoma

A support group for anyone affected by melanoma to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

Paediatric melanoma - diagnosis process. Anyone out there?

scaredmum90
Posted by

Hi lovely, thanks for the tips - I'll be sure to try the role play etc.

My daughter's mole is on her arm, it's one of around 15 she has. It has been rapidly changing in size, colour, texture and shape.

I'm sorry to hear you had melanoma yourself, hoping you're well now. As for your little one I'm sure he is fine as people keep telling me (eyeroll) melanoma in children is very rare - to be honest I am fed up of hearing that as it feels SO dismissive of my worries but the reality is that is IS very very rare.

That said your go should always follow nice guidelines to the letter and look at the ABCDE thingy - if you do a quick Google (or not depending on if you avoid) many experts say evolution/change s the most important thing with children as paediatric melanoma often presents differently to adult. Anyway, regardless, as you have family history and significant worries your GP definitely should refer your son - I would insist.

Let me know how you get on xx

rubytip
Posted by

Hi scaredmum90

how are you getting on with your daughters treatment?

has she had the mole removed yet? Do you have any results back?

scaredmum90
Posted by

Hi rubytip :) removal is on the 28th, hoping for results within 14 days but we'll see! Haven't told her about it yet, we're waiting until about four days before on advice from the dermatologist.

Thanks for asking x

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi

How did your daughter's mole removal go today? I'm hoping that it wasn't too traumatic for her or you. Did they give you an indication of how long it'll be before they hope to have the results back?

x

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

scaredmum90
Posted by

Hi thanks for asking :) It went fine, the nurses and drs were fab.

In case it helps anyone else in future I'll add here that to prepare we made her a social story with pictures / symbols to let her know a rough running order and what to expect. It massively helped as she was able to anticipate the day. On the advice of dermatologist we waited until 4 days before to give her time to process but not too long to dwell.

We opted for the mask for sedation and had a cannula inserted once she was under. No issues. 

Anyway the surgeon said it went well, we're to see nurse in two weeks to check would and plastic surgeon in 4 for  review. Pathology will be 3/4 weeks - they're not sure.

Hope you're well? X

Mummybear2
Posted by

Hi scaredmum, 

I have been thinking about you, I’m so glad to hear everything went well. Sounds like you did an absolutely brilliant job of preparing her. Fingers crossed for the results. Sending lots of love to you both x

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi

I'm glad to hear that it all went smoothly as it must have been a very worrying time for you.

Thanks for asking after me. I had a lesion on my arm removed a couple of weeks ago and am currently waiting for the results. Mine will probably be ready about the same time as your daughter's.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for both of us that it's not melanoma.

xx

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?