Melanoma

A support group for anyone affected by melanoma to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

To have a Sentinel Lymph Gland Biopsy or not??

Cattis
Posted by

Hi Gardener1

I'm glad to hear that Charlie is feeling a little better, and has managed to make a decision about the biopsy. Hopefully, as time passes since the initial shock of diagnosis, she'll be able to feel positive about getting on with her life and not worry about the future. Learning more about melanoma, I've come to understand that there's a lot to be positive about - survival rates are very good. 

Thanks for the information about vitamin D, that's very useful to know.

Sending all good wishes to you and Charlie, and a hug too xx

Sailor2
Posted by

Hi Gardener1

I take the Vit D3 everyday too, and my consultant said the same - it helps keep the immune system up.  Can't do any harm so might as well!

J

Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and find it!

Gardener1
Posted by

My daughter’s plastic surgeon (who is just lovely) also said anything that boosts the immune system like Kale is good. I’m currently doing my daughter’s packed lunch every day like I did when she was a little girl and I’m cramming it with dark green salad leaves, raw carrots, nuts, red peppers, strawberries, raspberries, oranges. I hope she’s not chucking half of it away like she did when she was little!

We have all changed our diet and family meals are more plant based , less red meat more fish. I’m currently reading Anti cancer a new way of life by Dr David Servan Schreiber. I don’t know if any of it helps fight cancer but I’m hoping we will all be healthier and for me it makes me feel anything I can do I want to, a teeny bit of control. Good luck everyone

Katsil
Posted by

I have a green smoothie everyday of kale some fruit to sweeten ginger flaxseed chia seeda etc you can add herbs like mint is nice anything you fancy really. I also add kale to stir frys or steam.

Kate

Xxx

If you want to know the way ahead ask those coming back. (African proverb)

Jen2110
Posted by

Hi gardener and others.

Just registered today after diagnosis of stage 2 melanoma yesterday however I had been “stalking “ site for some weeks prior to biopsy results.

I would firstly like to say nhs have been fantastic from initial screening by gp and consultants.

I too have been asked to consider lymph node biopsy and will require wle and plastic surgery however I’m wary lymph node biopsy may affect my immune system (is that a silly question)

Would also like to say thanks to all you guys for valuable information and compassion shown to each other.

Hope I have posted in the right place 

KTatHome
Posted by

Hello Jen2110, welcome to the online community, and yes I think you’ve posted in the right place by joining a relevant recent discussion. This discussion already has lots of useful links for you to look at I will add another from Melanoma focus they all point to the same thing though there is no wrong or right answer but it’s helpful to know what bothers you to help make up your mind and both the nice link and this one does that I think. It’s also nice to hear what decisions others made and why sometimes. 

I have never had to make the decision you are contemplating, but none of the links mention a risk to your immune system, I’m assuming that is because we have lots of nodes and by taking a few out the others compensate by taking over the drainage of the nasties in the fluid, I am not a medic though. 

I looked but you haven’t done your profile, I wondered where your original excision was and which nodes are affected ? as that often forms part of people’s decisions wether to have it done or not.

Good luck with your decision, let us know what you decide.

Oh, help with a profile if you need it is in this Help section scoot down the page a bit after opening the link.

Best wishes

KT 

Katsil
Posted by

Hi jen always the big decision re slnb. I chose it because i wanted to know what i was dealing. Youve hundreds of lymph nodes in your body only having 1 or 2 removed wont effect your immune system. However if the slnb is positive they may recommend clearance and that can cause lymphodema.

Kate

Xxx

Gardener1
Posted by

My daughter after much changing of mind has now decided to have the the SLNB so now it’s finfers and everything else crossed for a negative result 

Gardener1
Posted by

She has now decided To go ahead with the biopsy

Gardener1
Posted by

That sounds so healthy Kate! I might look into that

Erika

Jen2110
Posted by

Hi Katsil

Thanks for reply and sorry for delay as i was away for weekend.

I guess i will go with the experts and your advice and have biopsy

Great quote by the way

arista
Posted by

Hi Gardener1 (and hello everyone),

I am sorry to hear about your daughter. I would like to ask you to update us on the results, if it is possible, please.

I have decided as well to have the SLNB, but in the last second I chose not to have it. However, my situation was a bit complicated. Let me share this with you.

I am in the middle of a career change, 36 years old female, assistant psychologist and just finishing health psychology masters. I strongly believe that my studies (loads of topics on cancer screening) helped me to identify a possible melanoma. I had a decent sized mole on my lower back (difficult to check), developed in my childhood, so I had it all my life.

In January 2018 I experienced some itchiness and when I saw blood on my t shirt on a Friday night, Monday morning I phoned my GP for an urgent appointment. The following Friday I walked into his consultation room saying: 'Good morning, I need a two weeks referral to dermatology where I work. I think I have melanoma.' The following Tuesday I had an appointment and it was immediately removed. Results: pT2a, Breslow thickness: 1. 41, no ulceration. 

I accepted the SLNB together with a wide local excision. However, after they injected the dye to find out which lymph node should be removed, there were three nodes affected. One in groin area and two literally under my right breast and even these two were 7cm apart! Well, it wasn't surprising, since my melanoma was on my lower back. While the technician at the nuclear medicine was marking my breast I felt my tears falling.

Anyway, this result has changed not just my perspective, but the surgeon's as well. I told him if he really really thinks that it is absolutely important or necessary to have the SLNB done, I am all for it and they can cut me in three or possible four different places. He hesitated and avoided eye contact. He went silent. Therefore, I agreed to have only the wide local excision. This was on 23rd March 2018. That came back clean, no satellites on the area that was cut out. The final diagnosis: Stage 1b without SLNB.

I was left with a 12cm scar and the hope that it will not come back... My first check is booked for August. 

I am now in the middle of medical investigation for pelvic pain and bloating and, as you can imagine it is really hard to stop thinking about the worse.

Gardener1, I wish the best for your daughter and I hope you will get back to us with positive news and negative results. :)

Loads of love,

A.

KTatHome
Posted by

Hello arista, if that pelvic pain and bloating ( and I hope it isn’t) is metastatic melanoma due to the groin node that lit up I hope that they quickly move you on to targeted therapy or immunotherapy. 

I am possibly (but I hope not) a little bit ahead of you in treatment in that I started on Pembrolizumab on Friday (my story is in my profile). 

I hope you are taking it one step at a time which it sound l8ke your doing, but with an eye on the good potential treatment available.

KT 

Katsil
Posted by

There may be some confusion here kt on arista nodes. Correct me if im wrong arista but from what i understand the slnb dye identified 3 sentinel nodes in various sites that could harbour melanoma but you arent having it because it would entail drastic node clearance if its positive. The lighting up of the nodes is no indication of whether theres cancer there or not. I can understand the concern for other symptoms but they might be completely unrelated.

Kate

Xxx

arista
Posted by

Hi Katsil,

That is correct: the lighting up of the nodes only indicates the closest location where the cancer cells might migrate, nothing more. In other words indicates the fastest route from the melanoma to one or more lymph nodes.

I really hope the other symptoms are not related to this.

Sorry for the confusion I might have created. :)