A very warm welcome to the melanoma group!

• 34 replies
  • 77 subscribers

I know that you probably never imagined you would need to be part of this group but you have come to the right place to ask questions, share experiences and get support.

You'll find a wide range of experiences with melanoma amongst the members here so please feel free to ask any questions. 

There are people here who have had wide local excisions (WLE) and sentinel lymph node biopsies (SLNB) as well as people on adjuvant therapies suck as targeted therapy and immunotherapy.

If you haven't posted yet and want to ask a question just click on '+New' or '+' (depending on the device you're using), which you'll see near the top of the page, or reply to this post. 

Another way of looking for information is to use the search bar at the top of the page to search for old threads covering what you're looking for.

The online community is here to give support so please join in with posts if you have experience of something mentioned or are in a similar position. Don't feel that just because someone has replied to a post you can't join in. The more shared experiences the better.

Sometimes you might not have any experience with what is being asked about but you might feel that that you know or appreciate what the poster is going through so a kind reply and a gentle, virtual hug is always appreciated.

This post is going to be a 'sticky' so that it will remain on the first page of the discussions list and can be easily found. As you'll have seen I've added a few links to information about melanoma but if there's anything else you'd like adding just let me know.

Completing your profile with something about your journey so far is really helpful. It means you don't have to keep repeating yourself and others know something about your cancer when trying to find people with a similar diagnosis, or before replying. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

• I can sympathise, I am 41 as well and have a child of a similar age the need is sole destroying. 
    The worry, not eating , sleeping and general anxiety is awful. My story is in my bio if you click on my name and everyday I wake up wishing this was all a bad dream! 
    Talking to a counsellor has helped me greatly over the last three weeks when I felt I had reached rock bottom with worry and anxiety. 

• Good evening thank you so much for reaching out. I too tonight decided to start writing my Bio and its helping writing it all down. Hope you're keeping strong and well x

• I have just read your bio Chalky1980…wishing you well for Friday x…..

• I have just read your bio , wishing you well xxx 

• Hello , I wanted to say hi as I’m in a similar situation , my daughter is 17 and recently diagnosed with mm. She had hers removed 12 days ago and the lymp nodes under her arm. She is recovering surprisingly well,. It’s a hard time. Big hugs to you , look after yourself, take any help anyone offers and gives. Kiss 

• Hi Mum17,

I hope your daughter has recovered well from her ops last year. Can I please have your guidance?My daughter (16) had a mole removed recently, the GP scared me stupid as she has said to me (not in front of my daughter) “I will be surprised if it is not benign” and then spoke about Melanoma. We are getting the results on Tuesday. I do not know what to say to my daughter before the appointment. She knows it may be a bad mole and cancerous, but has never heard if Melanoma before. I don’t want to say too much in case I frighten her but likewise need her to be prepared (to some degree). Any advice you have from your experience would be welcomed. 

I hope your daughter is ok and already getting comfort from regular checks. 

Thank you

Andrea

• ALW,  sorry to hear about your daughter.  You may get more useful replies if you start a new thread in the melanoma group hon rather than on here which remains titled as Latchbrook .

There is also I believe a group on here specifically for younger people with cancer which is worth having a look at and posting on.  I hope you receive some useful positive replies. Take care xxx

• Thanks for getting in touch, however this message is rather late as my daughter passed away November 2021.

Rather disappointed that its taken this long to get a response from anyone

• Hi Andrea.  Hope the tests are good on Tuesday,  but my advise would be to push push push for scand etc and appointmentsr

• And appointments.  Time is really important.   I always think positiv.  Let me know how you get on all the best 

Sue