Secondary Lung Cancer

• 9 replies
  • 4 subscribers

Hi my name Janet i am 62yrs old .

I was first diagnosed with Bowel Cancer in 2016 had treatment then given the all clear to be told last yr i had secondary lung cancer again had an operation and got the all clear to be followed up by scans, recently had a scan about 7 weeks ago and told last week that i do infact need a pet scan as they have found another 2 nodules in my lung 

As this happened to anyone else and should i be worried ?? 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Janet,  

Like you I was diagnosed with  bowel cancer in  2015, which was removed by surgery then 6 months of mop up chemo .

Last year following a  routine scan , they found that I had secondary cancer in my lungs.

Unfortunately  where the  cancer  was it was impossible  to remove via surgery . I've had 2 types  of chemotherapy , plus radiotherapy  and I'm now having a 3rd line treatment  of Lonsurf. 

I totally understand  your worries and fears, my only advice is to go with whatever the Drs  recommend as they really do have your best interests at heart.  

As an on line community  we're  here for you , so please do keep  in touch .

Stay strong and positive ( easier said than done  I know ) 

Best wishes .xx

• Hi Pussycat26 

Thanks for replying to my email. I was just so shocked again to here that it could have come back in my lung not one nodule this time but 2. I had keyhole surgery last time to remove the nodule and my oncologist said I didnt need chemo that time , but because its returned I fear that it will be the option this time ,had a pet scan today get my results on 6th November. 

How are you doing health wise after treatment ?? 

Best wishes 

Janet xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to jimbobs

Hi Janet,  

Many thanks for your last email .

When I was diagnosed in  2015 , there was also a nodule in my left lung ,which at the time was too small to operate on. It was left till I had a scan I  2018, and found to be too big to remove , that's why I've been on palliative chemo ever since .

I'm due to start my second cycle  of Lonsurf  tomorrow.  .

I hav'nt been to bad with side effects, some tiredness , and a few days of taking the loperimide  tablets. I'm doing okay , but  have decided that  I'm going to stick it out as I feel that I  owe it to my family to keep trying .

Some people may not feel that way but I certainly  do , as I'm only 59 and still have a lot of life  to live , whatever that entails .

I must admit at times I'm terrified  and feel really down , but  then I look at my grandchildren , and think no way  am I giving in .

I can totally get your fears and emotions at this time  , but please let me know  how you get on . It helps to talk to others  going though  the same thing .

Sorry for the long rambling email .

Stay strong and positive.  

• Hi Pussycat26 

It was good to hear from you again today, i suppose in a way you could say i am one of the lucky ones and in a far better situ that yourself and i am so sorry to hear that they were unable to remove it for you, lucky for me they did scans quite often so as been able to be detected early and i am hoping that this is the same this time! 

I agree with your decison to stick it out for the sake of your family as i would do the same,.

I will email you when i have had my next appointment which is on 6th November 

all the best 

Janet 

• Hi Janet ,

How did your 6th November appt go re PET scan results?

Sue

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
  • Hi Sue Buttercup 

It didnt go to well actually, i am still awaiting results to see what they do next as they are now querying it being somewhere else too !! 

They have booked me another appt for 20th November to go back and have another chat and wil decide after there meeting on Friday this week as to what treatment i wil have to have .

He did say that it would most likely be Chemotherapy again but different to the one i had before, as that one made me ill 

Thanks for asking i will reply when i know what's going on 

Janet 

• Hi Janet ,

Sorry to hear the  PET scan possibly shows another met.

Good luck for 20 November, only just over a week to wait.

Don't forget to take a notebook/a person with u to write down answers to any questions u might  have/ things u want to keep a note of to refer to later.

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
  • Hi Sue Buttercup 01 

I know not too long thank goodness, i will do thanks for the advice 

Janet 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to jimbobs

Hi Janet, 

Sorry I hav'nt been in touch for a little while but  I hav'nt been feeling  great , after  my second cycle of Lonsurf.  

After reading your last post , I'm so sorry to hear that  the pet scan results  weren't  to good .

I can only say hang on in there , even if it means more chemotherapy.  

You can only put your trust in your oncologist  .

I've had 3 different  chemotherapies  plus radiotherapy  and I'm determined  to keep  trying .

Please let me know how it goes this week,  and I'll keep you in my thoughts . 

Stay strong and positive.