Results but still confused

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 103 subscribers

My husband got his results of his last CT scan. He has his last cycle of chemo tomorow and then apparently has 3 weekly immunotherapy sessions.  my husband has COPD, 2 lung tumours and a brain tumour from the lung.  Stage 4. The results so far after 3 cyles of chemo is that one lung tumour has grown by only 2mm the other is 'stable', brain tumour we have no result as ye from Radiotherapy.  We saw the Oncologist who would not commit to likely timescales.  My husband and i have a need to know just what we are up against.  We know it is not curable and it is only manageable. we have both read that it could be 6 months, or slightly longer with treatment, is this correct? Can anyone offer any advice as to what we can expect?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

When it comes to time scale  every one is so different and the Doctor's really do not know how any treatment may work or how the cancer may perform it is a guessing game.

A lot of people have gone past their sell by dates.

It's very hard, what treatment will he be going on do you know. 

Please fill free to keep asking questions we are all here to answer them if we can.

Take Care Ellie xx

"You Never Walk A Lone"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Ellie

He has had 4 cycles of chemo, now he has immunotherapy treatment every 3 weeks which we are not sure either what this is for really. 

• FormerMember

Hi

Immunotherapy is given instead of chemo its not as harsh.

Do you know the type of immunotherapy he is going to have.

There are a few out there, with good results.

It is to jump start your own immune  system to fight the cancer.

I had one type with good results but every one reacts differently to it

I hope you can understand what i have written.

Ellie x

• FormerMember

some t imes they give a combo of chemo along with immunotherapy every case is different.

• FormerMember

from what i can gather there is no difference between the 2 main immunopherapy drugs both giving over 2 yr  .pembro  / and Atezolizumab   the 2 main one for nsclc.  i have been receiving  Atezolizumab   for about 1&half yr.  it has kept my cancer stable up to now.                                                                                                                                                                                   Immunotherapy is an effective treatment for some people with lung cancer, but not for others. This is because the immune system can only recognise cancer cells that have particular genetic mutations. People with Epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) and anaplastic lymphoma kinase (ALK) mutations, for example, don’t tend to respond positively to immunotherapies.     TC