What to expect ... Mums diagnosis

• 6 replies
  • 105 subscribers

Hello everyone

I'm new on here, and i guess I'm looking for some ideas about what to expect moving forward.  My mum started to undergo tests on the 29th October following an X-ray in A&E, which identified a shadow on the bottom of her right lung.  Since that point she's had CT, PET, EBUS, and MRI tests.  It feels like the longest 7 weeks of our lives. Life has been lived in a surreal and, often, nightmarish  bubble, where its the first thing we all think about when we wake up, and in the darkest hours of the night all hope feels absent.  

From not wanting to even think about this being cancer I have now realised that knowledge is power. Since doing  research on this site and the Roy Castle Lung Foundation Website, I recognise that this testing period is crucial for accurate diagnosis and targeted treatment.   But I'm so anxious and worried for my mum (and my dad and how he is coping with this), and now we finally have this Weds (18th Dec) as the date for diagnosis and treatment.  But I think  we've all built this up into something terrible.  There is this awful sense of dread about what hey are going to say.  I understand about NSCLC and SCLC, the staging and the grading, but I'm so scared that they will say there is no hope.

What should I expect? Any help will be greatly appreciated.  

• Hello Nmar1, it is a worrying time, and nothing anyone says will stop that. However it is good that they have carried out comprehensive tests as this will give them the greatest chance of an effective treatment regime. Once you have all the information you can start to make decisions. I was diagnosed as Stage 4 from the initial tests but am currently stable almost one year on, and there are others in the same staging that are still "going strong" after a number of years of treatment.

Good luck for the future - just remember that being there for your mum is the most important thing you can do.

Per Ardua Ad Astra
  • Thank you John Boy, for taking the time to post and respond. I will stay positive and much luck abd positive vibes winging their way back to you too. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Nmar1

hi mnar1  welcome to the room. lots of new stuff out now.  i was took ill 3 and half yrs ago. after i got though all the tests you mention stage 3B i was so ill. with in two months of treatment i felt a lot better. i have done well up to now. things have changed a bit i had chemo/radio at first then 1 and half yr later cancer came back , i am now on immunaptherapy. it seems now people can go straight on it. had kept things stable  up to now. tc 

• Thank you so much for ir your encouraging words. I know that this is the worst of times and that it will feel more controlled after tomorrow. I hope you're feeling ok and the cancer stabilises. I agree the more i read about the trestments available the more my view if this awful disease changes, it isnt the same as it used to be. There are so many positive stiries out there. Take care and thank you again. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Nmar1

Hi NMar1,

I know exactly how your last few weeks have felt because I’m in the same position with my amazing mum.

Hope the appointment today gave you all the information/detail that you need and fingers crossed there’s treatment available for your mum.

I learnt so much from the lovely people on this forum which helped me prepare for mums appointments, hope you’ve had the same support too.

Take care and keep positive! X

• Hi Sara

How is your amazing mum?  What is her diagnosis?  Yesterday my darling mum was diagnosed with NSCLC Adenocarcinoma, which I had already prepared myself for.  Yes she has been offered treatment, and there was much positive discussion about her excellent level of fitness and general good health and how this is essential for good outcomes with treatment, so although the news is still devastating, and we wish that she could have an operation, we are feeling positive about her coping well with treatment and being able to live with this horrible disease.  we are counting our blessings.  She has been offered a couple of options chemo/ radiotherapy and quite possibly immunotherapy, but also a Phase 3 trial called SARON.  We are just weighing these up and hopefully she will be set to start treatment in the next week after Xmas.

From reading the amazing messages from people on this forum and also the Roy Castle Lung Foundation website, you cannot help but feel optimistic and forward thinking.  The most important thing is my mum is thinking this way also, and now, after the last terrible weeks in no mans land, can see that there is a future, although a  different shaped one from what she had previously envisioned.

Please let me know how your mum is and any support I can offer.

Nicola