Lung cancer no treatment

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 104 subscribers

Hi,

my dad has been diagnosed with lung cancer today. He already has copd, Parkinson’s and spinal stenosis and for that reason he hasn’t been offered any treatment. Also they did not do a biopsy and just a ct scan. The nurse informed us that the cancer isn’t the main problem he has at the moment but I’ve been reading online and it seems lung cancer is very aggressive. He doesn’t really have any symptoms but I have noticed that he sleeps more these days. I don’t know whether his health condition is due to his other illnesses or associated with the cancer. I just wanted to know what to expect and how to go forward.

• Hi

So very sorry to hear of your Dad's situation.

Not all lung cancers are aggressive; it depends on the type of cancer. Unfortunately without a biopsy the type is very difficult to identify/confirm.  The treatments for lung cancer can be quite brutal and very physically hard on the patient, so this will be why he has not been offered any treatment. The sleeping more could be down to any or all of his health issues; you do say that the hospital believe that the cancer is not the main problem.

On here we are just people who have been affected in one way or another by lung cancer, we are not medically trained.  My only advice is to discuss his whole medical issues and what to expect with  his hospital team or GP.

Again, so very sorry for your situation. I wish the best possible outcomes for you and your Dad.

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Kegsy

Thank you for your reply. 

we have spoken to the doctors and the nurse who are great but there is so much uncertainty about everything. I understand that king cancer survival rates and symptoms vary per individual but the reason I posted on this forum was to just hear about other peoples experiences. 

The doctors haven’t got 100% confirmation it is cancer but are certain it is and they haven’t done any tests so are just suggesting that it’s not aggressive but will not follow it up in any routine to see whether it has gone. 

I understand that he has medical problems already and therefore it’s difficult to say what might affect him more. I don’t know I think I just wanted to see if there is anyone in a similar position and how they are coping with it.

thank you