Open thoracotomy and lobectomy whirlwind

• 6 replies
  • 106 subscribers

Well it's been a whirlwind few days to say the least! 

Had appointment due Friday afternoon with surgeon to finally get my treatment plan and mediastinoscopy results - 4pm on Thursday surgeon rang to say the lymph nodes were clear and did I want the tumour removed next day!!!  So Horace has been removed, he was a big bugger so key hole wasn't an option, spent 3 days post op in hospital now I'm home recovering. Check up in 2 weeks and reckons I could be back in work within 4 weeks. Now this is the part in still not sure who I'm best speaking to, I don't actually have a cancer nurse at this hospital just the surgeon and the respiratory nurse I've seen once is at a different hospital, in fact I've only had one short brief discussion regarding the cancer to tell me type and staging! How do you obtain a cancer nurse at for any advice etc? 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Varmint,

gosh that was quick and hopefully positive. Can you get in touch with your local MacMillan team , perhaps they can help with advice and a nurse for you.

I hope you get sorted soon. 

I've had my first chemo and just getting used to the fist few days. Things are getting better each day. I've had a bit of neuropathy which I've got tablets for and they seem to be helping.

• Wow, Varmint, that was a whirlwind.  No time to be anxious about op and home again before you know it.  I didn't get a cancer nurse until after my op.  Pretty sure I met my cancer nurse and oncologist on the day I had my surgery follow-up.  Concentrate on getting well and keep up with whatever exercises they have suggested.  Don't rush back to work if you don't have to - be very kind to yourself.  Congratulations on Horace's demise. 

• Hi

Well done on getting rid of Horace, and so quickly.

I am guessing that the advice you  would be looking for is specific to your situation e,g what happens next etc. My advice is to raise this at your check-up in a couple of weeks time; the Surgeon will be best placed to either advise you or 'transfer' you back to the care of the Lung Cancer team. MacMillan are good but can only provide generic info as they do not have access to your medical records.

Use the next two weeks to fully recuperate  before considering returning to work!

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Varmint

I have been wondering about you the last few days and how you are getting along. Wow they moved fast didn't they! Go team and you of course. I guess with the short notice it some ways you could not get too nervous about it and pleased it seemed to go well.

I named mine Tallulah Da Tumour.... though it took some time, I didn't want her living in me and I think part of the acceptance. When she spawned I named those Tarren and Tyrone Slight smile

Remember no lifting or driving for at least four weeks and to take it easy! Do not rush back too soon, though you are often amazed just how quickly the body recovers after. Wonderful things our bodies.

I think their must have been an oversight in assigning you are nurse. I met mine when I met my Southampton Oncologist and they introduce themselves and gave me their contact details. I also met my local one once I got back to Jersey after treatment. They are so important to contact and I call them your PA as they can chase things up on your behalf, or speak through any worries. I would try contacting either the surgeon's secretary or your respiratory nurse and explaining that you have not met your Lung cancer nurse and asking who she may be and how to contact her. It could even be your respiratory nurse (it is for me in Jersey).

I hope you feel better each day and carry on doing well.

• Thank you all, recovery has been going well, each day I found  an improvement, just a slight issue with chest drain "hole". Had stitch out then noticed later on it hadn't closed at all and was weeping, GP just prescribed antibiotics (again!) Triage nurse at hospital didn't like it, another Dr said it was fine! Anyway I have dressing on it now and follow up with surgeon is tomorrow so hopefully someone will know what to do with it!!!  

Take care x

Varmint
    Never regret something that once made you smile.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Varmint

Good to hear that you are making steady progress. Ohh when they all can't agree on the drainage is frustrating, but happens so often. I always say to people trust your own gut instinct and if you are worried at any point to let them know. We know our own bodies the best!