Having radiotherapy with shingles.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 104 subscribers

Hey Everyone,

i haven't been on this group for about 5 months now.

My mum was diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer back in January. Since then she's had chemotherapy, had 2/3rds of her lung removed & is currently on her 3rd week of radiotherapy.

On Friday she woke up with a rash on her chest & in a lot of pain. Drs confirmed that she has got shingles & gave her antiviral medication.

Ive come round today & she is in ALOT of pain. She's got radio at 2pm, so I will mention it to her nurses. But has anyone else been in this position while being treated for lung cancer? Is there anything else she can do to make the pain not as severe?

Just want to help her, hate seeing her in pain.

Thank you,

Eleni x

• Hi, not quite the answer you were looking for as no RT involved but my mum had shingles while immunocompromised. It is horribly painful and uncomfortable, not to mention it really saps energy, but the antivirals should get the best of it and show a difference after 2-3 days. Remember it can be infectious so keep yourself safe too. 

Really hope she starts to feel better soon x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Magpie101

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately I am the only one around to take my mum to have radiotherapy appointments, so I am with her most days. I have an autoimmune disease myself, but sometimes "needs must". 

Just hate seeing her in pain, I feel very helpless. 

Thankyou for your kind wishes xx