Pain after radiotherapy

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 14 replies
  • 104 subscribers

Hi

I had radiotherapy last september to my left lung. I am in a lot of pain now which they tell me is scarring and nerve ends healing. Has anyone had the same and if so how long does it last?

• Hi Sue Jane

Everyone reacts differently to radiotherapy so it would be difficult to give you a timescale. However 'a lot of pain' does need to be addressed, so please discuss this with your cancer team.

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Kegsy

Hi both, I am experiencing really bad pain at the moment, I also had radiotherapy on left lung and ended in December. Team and my own GP cannot explain what it is as nothing showed on CT scan. I have had a underlining infection lately which I thought I may have a muscle strain due to cough phlegm up. On stronger painkillers every 4 hours including though the night, but reading this thread my hubby says it confirms what he was thinking. Radiotherapy done some damage

Chris xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Kegsy

Thanks Kegsy, I've just had a CT and will get results next month, they tell me it's scarring and nerve damage so fingers crossed thats all it is

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Chris.

Seems radiotherapy is very damaging, mine finished last September and the pain wasnt too bad until January and is getting progressively worse. My  oncologist didnt seem concerned and told me it would last many months. Im also taking 4 hourly painkillers plus through the night. I feel like Im going backwards not forwarda. I really hope my recent CT doesnt show anything nasty. Im on Gabapentin now which with paracetomol is helping. I also find a warm wheat bag helps x

• FormerMember

Thanks Sue Jane, never thought of a wheat bag, iv had my arm in a made up sling and it has helped today, have arm down I can really feel nerve pain

• FormerMember

I think mine is nerve pain, its not in the area where I had radio but in my shoulder and neck. The only thing that helps is the wheat bag. I try and carry on as normal and do housework etc with the wheat bag over my shoulder., I must look a sight Rofl Xx

• FormerMember

Doesn’t matter what you look like, if it helping x

• FormerMember

Hi Both

I just wanted to add that I completed radiotherapy towards the end of June. I think about 2 -3 months later I developed very tight sore muscles in my shoulder and arm. It was just like going to the gym and working muscles you had forgotten you had and you seize the next day. This went on for a good couple of months and cleared away on it's own. When I asked what it was, it was explained to me that the radiotherapy effects the elastine and can cause this.

I am now getting rib pain and soreness below the surgery to remove the lobe. Sadly I do not think this is after effects, I believe it's a sign of recurrence and possible spread to the ribs. I see oncology this on Wednesday and will alert them that this is happening.

Always check out any new symptoms with your team to reassure you.

• FormerMember

Hi Gina

My pain is also in my shoulder plus neck, it only started in February though my treatment finished in September.

I really hope the pain you're feeling now is not recurrence and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

I am hoping surgery is an option to excise the remains of my tumour but waiting for CT results

Thanks for telling me about the elastin, perhaps it'll loosen up soon

Good luck with your appointment

Sue xx

• Hi Sue Jane

Gabapentin is an epilepsy drug that is increasingly being prescribed for nerve pain. It can have some quite significant side effects. I am not saying don't take it, that decision is entirely between you and your Oncologist, all I am saying is be aware of the potential side effects if they haven't already been explained to you.

Good luck for the CT scan results.

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011