What a day

• 2 replies
  • 104 subscribers

Yesterday I was at the hospital to pick up the next round of oral chemotherapy (Osimertinib) and to get feedback from my Oncologist regarding my CT scan last week (after 6 weeks of medication). I don't think the news could be any better - the "big" tumour in my right lung has shrunk by about 20mm (was over 50mm when first diagnosed), and the three small tumours in the left lung and lymph gland have all shrunk as well. The Oncologist was very pleased with the results, and I will be having the next scan in August. I was so please that I drove back to work and, as it was a hot day, didn't want to leave the medication in the car, went to take them into the facility. This is when I realised that I had left the drugs at the hospital!!! Had to drive back and collect them - luckily it was only about 20mins away. Logic tells me that it is still palliative treatment, but I'll take it for now. So grateful I have private health insurance through my company as I would not have been able to start on Osimertinib straight away - it is only licensed as a Stage 2 treatment under current NICE directives

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi John Boy

That sounds like perfect results. Really pleased you reported shrinkage all round and great that it is so responsive to chemotherapy. 

Try and relax now until your August scan now and enjoy the summer.

Ow drat you had to drive back and get your medications. It tends to put us in a spin that we get all forgetful doesn't it?

I too have private health care through my company and am very grateful for it. Not always but sometimes especially just now opened up very fast access to treatment I desperately needed to happen fast. Not always helpful, sometimes they still refuse cover. I always feel for those that do not have it however. 

• I know what you mean. My private health insurance will only cover the cost of cancer medication for 12 months. After that I do not know what will happen if it is still not available through the NHS - it will either be self-funding at probably £70k+ a year, or going backwards and having a different medication first to prove it's not working as well. Don't fancy that. Still, I am led to believe AstraZenica will be presenting more findings to NICE around July time. Like you I feel guilty that treatments are not easily available to all, but then the oncologists reminds me that, by being funded this way, it (hopefully) means more resources for NHS patients who do not have our luxury". 

Per Ardua Ad Astra