Desperately need advice for my husband

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 104 subscribers

Hello

I haven't been on here for a while just to recap husband was diagnosed last June with stage 4 mets to spine, liver, lymphs and brain.  He was treated with chemo cisplatin and pemetrexed that worked and shrunk the secondaries then in November he went onto maintenance pemetrexed.  In February he was admitted with fluid on his lung and that was drained 2 weeks after that he was admitted again for my fluid drainage and a new lesion was found on his spine and caused his bladder to retain urine.  He had radiotherapy on his lumbar since then he has become bowel incontinent.  He was told by oncology that the pemetrexed wasn't working so put him on atezoliumab, he had his first atezoliumab in April.  He was admitted again last week as he couldn't walk he had a mrs scan of the spine and they said there had been no change but on his discharge letter it said disease progression at T1.  He is now house bound with some leg movement now but not walking yet.  Well today we had the GP round about his swollen stomach which he has had for months now anyway the Gp who has never seen my husband before said he doesn't think there will be any other treatment offered to him, I asked if the hospital had been in touch with him ad he said no.  So I am at a loss with what is going on.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

hi misty sorry for the issues your husband has got.   its realy the ornacologist that should be talking re treatments. unlikely a GP  would have the knowledge .  i have been on atezoliumab, from just after it got clearance july/aug 2018,think your husband needs talk to cancer nurse or ornacologist  take care

• Hi

So very sorry that you and your husband are going through this.

Darlo is right, you do need to ring the hospital to speak to your hubby's oncologist regarding his situation. The best way is to go through the Oncologist's secretary; all you need is the name of the Oncologist and the hospital switchboard will put you through to the secretary. The secretary will be able to arrange for the Oncologist to ring you back. Make sure you cover the points as in your above post.

I hope this helps.

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011