Lung Cancer

A support group for anyone affected by lung cancer to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

To Chemotherarpy Or Not

Ginajsy
Posted by

Hi 

I sore you say about your indecision about whether to accept chemotherapy or not alongside your radiotherapy, so I thought I would start this thread here for you and kick it off with some thoughts/wise old words.

I am sure they will not mind me saying that both Marimba and Ina Vest both came to the forum a little while ago, also wanting to know about chemotherapy or chemoradiation. It was for them I wrote my very long experience that I have already sent you by PM.

So to add to if to take it or not, I think it would be worth you knowing/thinking through the following.

Have they explained to you that they have found that by giving chemotherapy at the same time as the radiotherapy tends to see a better response to it? Honestly they don't do it just to really be mean to you all at once I promise.

It is worth also considering that you can only have radiotherapy in an area once, so it's a one time offer to have them both together. If you needed further treatment later on, it wouldn't have the dual power.

I suggested to them both to find out the type of chemotherapy and how many cycles that are being recommended. If like me you are offered 33 sessions of radiotherapy, this would mean based on a three week cycle only 2.5 cycles of chemotherapy would be done whilst you are having radiotherapy.

You do not have to continue with treatment, you can tap out at any time. So you could try a cycle and see how it goes?

Some further treatment options opening up do depend on you having already had what they call a platinum chemotherapy dependent on your tumour biopsy markers and mutation levels. 

You have said they have ruled out surgery for you, chemoradiation is the next best thing in their tool box to treat you. Please think carefully before turning down any tools before doing so. 

I hope this helps a little with the dilemma, hopefully others will be along to share their thoughts/experiences of chemotherapy or chemoradiation too.

Gina

There are no perfect people, only perfect intentions

♬I should've been more than this, I was gonna be something big, But I never did anything at all ♬ Dan Owen - Icarus
nel107
Posted by

Hello Gina

thank you - it is so decent and kind of you to take the time and trouble to give me your thoughts it helps to hear from you who’s been through it  - you are right it’s the best option and I will go ahead. Will let you know further and I hope you are finding peace with your own decision xx

Ina Vest
Posted by

Hi nel107   

I'm not sure how to do a link so you get an email.  My dilemma was whether to have chemo or not.  I had a lobectomy which removed the cancer but was offered chemo as belt and braces to make sure any cancer cells that were not visible to man nor machine were zapped.  My family had all different views.  10 years ago I talked my husband into belt and braces chemo for his bowel cancer so felt I should at least do the same although he did not agree.  I posted my dilemma and searched old posts.  I think it was excavator that had the same dilemma in the past and decided that it would be better to throw everything at it so that there could be no regrets in the future.  I also was afraid of the effects of chemo.  I've just started cycle 3 of 4 and the oncologist has made a change to my chemo as I was not tolerating the first choice too well.  If you do go ahead make sure you jot down any problems that arise and let your team know so they can prescribe helpful solutions.  I come home each cycle with a bag of goodies to counteract side effects of chemo.....it is good to be prepared.

Wishing you well and that all goes as smoothly as possible for you.

Ina Vest x

Ginajsy
Posted by

Hi 

Just in case you wanted to know how to do the tagging thing. All you do is put an @ in front of the user name, a list of people will come up with those letters and you click on the one you want. So for me it would be (without the space between the @ and the username) @ ginajsy and click on my picture when it pops up. I thought I would tag you there so you can see what it looks like and the email you would get 

Gina

♬I should've been more than this, I was gonna be something big, But I never did anything at all ♬ Dan Owen - Icarus
Ina Vest
Posted by

Hi   That was really helpful, thank you.  Just practising and can manage to do your's Gina and my own but am having no luck with @neI107 .  I even tried copying and pasting your link from previous post but don't think that was going to work either.  Can't make out what I am doing wrong.

nel107
Posted by

I hope it’s not me who’s set things up wrongly as Ina can’t tag me. 

Nusy say now that I have a plan in place I feel less anxious but that swings from day to day. That’s one thing I’m learning fast in this journey- it’s a roller coaster of emotions that change from hour to hour. 

Ive to have an updated pet scan on Wednesday as will be 7/8 weeks since first was done and they want to ensure things are as was and the radiologist uses it seemingly to plan the radiotherapy 

time now doe good eating and prayers and thank you to all who’ve chatted with me and I hope Gina your own decision works well 

Ginajsy
Posted by

Hi Nel

No it is not you as I managed to tag you in this. I can say though it does not like it if you delete or press space by accident. So I try and put the specific user name in with your numbers too so it doesn't throw up a massive list of names to choose from. The characters nel alone are quite common in usernames. So maybe if Ina tries again?

I hope all goes well with the updated PET. For me radiotherapy line up was done by a CT.

Thank you Nel, I think I have kind of decided I must do it whilst absolutely being scared about it at the same time. I am planning things in my mind, so I guess subconsciously I have decided. Like you though I do rove between a yes and a no still. Maybe when you are put on the spot to give a final answer on it the answer will pop out and that will be your decision?

Keep keeping us up to date Nel, we are all here for you.

Glad you are nearly there too Ina, soon be over

Gina

Ginajsy
Posted by

Another champ did post a step by step guide how to on it. With pictures on a PDF.

Let me summon him on over to see if he will kindly post it here for you.... 

*screeches*

Gina

Bodach
Posted by

Hope this helps

Ian -

screetch answered hope this makes sense to you. Sorry had to join Lung group to do it now disjoined.

With a Stma Care and Management Certificate 

● Groups ● Stma Support ● Bowel ● Carers ● Anal● Family & Friends● Bereavement ●

You can also telephone Macmillan Support line 365 days a year 8am to 8pm. on 0808 808 0000. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

What is a Community Champion?

How to update your PROFILE

The Bodach is LIVING WITH A ST● MA

Ina Vest
Posted by

Thank you Gina for asking for the instructions.  I have it sussed now.  I've no idea what I was doing wrong before.

Glad you have both made your decisions and can totally understand your swinging between ok with it and not ok with it.  It is scary.  As you say nel107 this is the time to eat well and get yourself as fit as you can and try to get good sleep.  This is such a supportive forum and we are all rooting for you both.

Ina Vest x

nel107
Posted by

Hi Gina

tha is and I’m glad to hear you’re coming to your decision which we look forward to seeing go really well xx