Lung Cancer

A support group for anyone affected by lung cancer to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

Had a Lobectomy in September but am still exhausted.

Danni88
Posted by

Hi Mick. It's so bad that cancer patients aren't treated better. The Oxycodone will make you feel more tired than usual. I had a really bad reaction to Oxycodone when I had the Lobectomy and 2 of the Nurses didn't believe me so it went on for 5 hours until the Pharmacist came and recognised that I was allergic and gave me Diazepam which stopped it in 10 minutes! Why is it that some of the medical profession think that they know our bodies better than we do? I have had a few incredibly arrogant bowel Consultant's and a few Nurses who have spoken down to me and I really don't EVER again want to see any of the bowel Consultant's in our hospital. I wish that I could get all Consultant's together and a few patient's and just put thing's to them from our perspective. I have just had a friend here whose cancer is being kept at bay with a drug called Kadcylla and she has lung cancer, liver and breast and she is one of the most amazing people I have ever met but she has had some horrific treatment by Bowel Consultant's one of whom even asked her why she had had a Mastectomy! She is gentle and kind and has gone through hell but still keeps smiling.

Did you ask your Dr. a bit more about your operation or do you not want to know? My friend doesn't really want to know too much because she knows thing's could change at any time and she is only 55 and the cancer is widespread so, to me, all of us deserve to be treated with respect and be believed. Thank goodness for Macmillan Nurses who are the absolute best. Have you spoken to any of them? I have and they are the most sympathetic, knowledgeable and kind Nurses I have ever spoken to so if you get down or want to ask anything you will find them so helpful and comforting. I know the NHS is on it's knees and they are all overworked and I feel for them but manners don't cost anything!  On my soapbox today after seeing my friend!

No news yet and it's a week today since my scan so I'm being impatient!  If I don't hear by Monday I am going to phone the Dr.'s Secretary. The waiting is just awful. I really hope you get your appointment soon. Please let me know how you get on. The sun is shining here too but there is a cold wind but I did do a little bit of cutting the dead plants but won't do much as I'm sure that we will get more snow! The Snowdrops and Crocuses are blooming and are beautiful so I hope it stays like this for a while. Please take care. Good luck and best wishes to everybody.

All the best,

Annie

Danni 88
Humphreybrm
Posted by

Hi  Annie,  I seem to be able to take Oxycodon without any side effects and it has really helped to dull the pain. I asked my GP about my type of cancer and he kindly put the letter from my oncologist up on the screen. The cancer was SCLC and it said a name which I cannot remember.  It just commented on my general health and not much else apart from doing a scan in March. Having read up on SCLC it is normal to have some treatment but I was never well enough after the operation to have any. Not good and left to my own immune system to work which obviously it has not. I just feel that with all this waiting for the scan and then 4 weeks for the results when I should be having treatment. I would appreciate any advice from our champions if they read this post.

I expect you are getting impatient for your results so you ring your guy Monday and chase them up. Had a reasonable day today and had lunch with a friend in an old pub with a log fire, very enjoyable but did  not do the food justice. Then home and fell asleep as usual. 

Hope you have have a good weekend.

Mick

Mick H
Ginajsy
Posted by

Hi Both

Mick

I am glad you have found something to help dull the pain. It is good when you can finally get on top of it.

I hope you are both doing well and improve as time goes on.

I hate the wait for results but I always try and mutter the mantra to myself that slow news is often good news... so what I am saying here is, if they find something that you need to act on perhaps you will get summoned sooner. I twitch around my phone now for 2 - 3 days post a scan then settle and think well it hasn't rang so must be all on course for results appointment.

I am not the best one to advise on SCLC as I am NSCLC. However I can suggest that you ask this in the ask an expert section who would be better placed to talk you through the usual treatments. There is also information on the site on small cell lung cancer if you click the link you can read it there.

Finally the nurses on the phone line should also talk you through normal treatment methods for small cell lung cancer. They are available 8am - 8pm on 0808 808 00 00.

Sorry Mick, I almost missed this one. I have all notifications turned on for this group but if you want to make certain you get my attention you can tag me. To do this if you type an @ then my username a list of people will come up. When you see my pretty little face click on it and it will send me an email and my name will appear underlined once posted. I will demonstrate by tagging you now.

I hope this helps, sorry I can not personally be more helpful.

Gina

There are no perfect people, only perfect intentions

♬I should've been more than this, I was gonna be something big, But I never did anything at all ♬ Dan Owen - Icarus
Humphreybrm
Posted by

Hi Gina, thanks for the info and I have had a look at treatments so I am better prepared. Your reminder of the mantra slow news is good news is something I have quoted to family , friends and fellow cancer sufferers many times but I have not been practising what I preach and from now on I will. No more moaning about waiting times, what will be will be and enjoy every day as best you can. The sun is starting to shine, spring is on its way, hopefully and I will not be moaning Minnie.

I have nothing but admiration for you young lady, like most of us on the site. You are going through he'll and yet you still find time to post words of wisdom to those that ask. Best of luck with decision making but if it was me I would go for it. Thanks again.

MIck. 

X

Mick H
Danni88
Posted by

Hi Mick. I am so pleased that you don't get any side effects from Oxycodon because I know they helped other Lobectomy patient's but I have weird reactions to a few medications!  Just a weird person! Do you have a good G.P. that you can talk to? I am so lucky with mine. Did you find out how much they had taken away? What a lovely post from Gina and what an amazing person she is. Like Gina I have NSCLC and the tumour was an Adenocarcinoma. I have read quite a lot of the posts and the ones from Gina make me wonder what I'm moaning about but 'horses for courses' I suppose and we all have our own way of dealing with cancer.

How long were you in hospital? I am so sorry that you are having to wait for your treatment but if you haven't done it already then I would phone the Macmillan Helpline because they helped me a lot and give wonderful advice. The support they give is phenomenal. Have you been ill for a long time? I so wish I could wave a magic wand and make everybody better. Incredibly brave people here and my friend's who are struggling and Mick I wish you all the best and please try and speak to the Macmillan Nurses because I just feel that you shouldn't be having to wait for treatment. I'm so glad you managed to go out today even though it takes it out of you but it's great taking our mind off thing's. 

Still no word so will phone on Monday as the Radiographers have lost my results a couple of times and I don't trust anybody there apart from my Thoracic Consultant!

Sleep well. I hope you have a ' good ' day tomorrow. It makes a difference seeing flower's in the garden and to have a couple of sunny days is just lovely.

Best wishes, 

Danni

Danni 88
Humphreybrm
Posted by

Hi Danni, how are you and have you heard anything. I am trying to keep myself busy and passing each day and trying to enjoy them. This good weather is helping and the sun on your  back is a good medicne. I have my son over for a few days and that always means a hectic but enjoyable time. I have had a new GP for the last couple of years and he is ok but my last one had been my GP for 30 years and was well aware of my history.  The new one has alot to pick up. I have not got a clue how much lung they removed but it does not seem to be doing a lot. Leaving all the work to the left lung. Under 2 weeks to rhe scan, getting  there slowly but then the wait for the results. Everyone is of the opinion that if they find something they will call me in early, wait and see on that one. Hope you are coping ok and getting out in that garden

Mick

Mick H
Ginajsy
Posted by

Hi Mick

I hope you enjoy your visitors. 

Re the lung, each lung has nine segments. The right is split in to three lobes. Top is 3, middle 2 and bottom 4. If this helps.

I sore someone post this advice they had been given by their oncologist here before and I think it would be really something to pass on to you. Do not live your life scan to scan. I know I get twitchy in the run up to the scan but a couple of days after it is done and not hearing anything I settle.

I hope that helps a little. 

Gina

There are no perfect people, only perfect intentions

♬I should've been more than this, I was gonna be something big, But I never did anything at all ♬ Dan Owen - Icarus
Humphreybrm
Posted by

Hi Gina, thanks for that very useful info. I am learning a lot about lung cancer which will help when I see my oncologist and I can ask some pertinent questions . As you know I have had many scans over the years and do not normally get concerned about them and I will be fine with this one. Can I wish you all the very best for next week, you are a special lady to many of us on this site and we will all be thinking of you. 

All the very best, and that you. 

Mick

Mick H