Lung Cancer

A support group for anyone affected by lung cancer to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

Treatment starts soon

Kennedy
Posted by

Hello,

I’m new to this site and have been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. 

I start Immunotherapy treatment on Friday and have worries. 

I’m finding it very hard to open up and feeling very lonely. 

Pembrolizumab 

darlo
Posted by

hi kennedy hope your treatment goes well.  regards your loneliness  don't your cancer nurses have a get together for you to talk?  mine do plus i can ring them with any problem. 

Derek
 ellie68
Posted by

Hi Kennedy

Welcome to the group, though sorry you have to join.

Every one here is very nice and will answer any questions you may have .

I am on Immunotherapy and have been for a while.

Every one will support you, we are all-here for each other, you are not on your own.

This group really helped me when i was first diagnosed, i am stage 4 as well.

We where all   new once and know how you fill in lots of ways.

Take Care Elliexxx

"You Never Walk A Lone"

hen2446
Posted by

Hi Kennedy

Sorry you had to join our club but as others have said we all try to support one another.

I am also stage 4 and have been on immunotherapy for 23 months.

There are quite a few of us on immunotherepy so any questions just ask I e sure somebody will chip in.

I remember feeling how you feel when I was first diagnosed but time is a strange thing and I find it very easy to open up now.

Good luck with the immunotherapy 

Pam xx

Kennedy
Posted by

Hi Ellie and Pam

Thanks for the welcome and support. Such a lot of thoughts and emotions to process but I am beginning to get my head round it a little. 

I go for my first appointment with the nurses tomorrow followed by the first treatmeant Friday as I said, so I am very nervous. 

Can i ask if you had many side effects? 

K x

Pembrolizumab 

Kennedy
Posted by

Hi Darlo

Thanks for the message.

I’m seeing the nurse tomorrow so maybe they will give me more info then. 

Lots going on in my head and having trouble using this website so please excuse delays etc. 

k x

Pembrolizumab 

darlo
Posted by

yes the nurses are fantastic considering what they are dealing with. regards using site i have same issues. find it best to allow email alerts and come in though them.i am feeling a bit down as well since finding cancer has returned.  hopefully when i start my new treatment wil be able to put it to the back of my mind            .thank you for your reply 

Derek
hen2446
Posted by

Hi Kennedy 

The side effects I have had mostly have been very manageable, loss of appetite in the beginning and occasionally after treatments, headaches and joint aches, shivering and aching as if ime coming down with something but all of these occur at different times and not after every treatment.

I have gained a sone in weight which I put down to the drug as I eat far less now than 8 used to , and u fortunately I have had coilitus on 3 occasions but these were taken care off with steroids.

I can honestly say as far as treatments go immunotherapy has been easy to live with, people cannot believe how well I look , my quality of life has been fantastic , I do tire far more than I used to and no longer have the stamina that I had but compared to how I was on chemo it doesn’t compare.

Pam xx

Roisinkate
Posted by

Hi Ellie,

I was diagnosed stage 4 lung cancer in February. I am on Chemo carbo/taxol. My oncologist wants to keep me on chemo but I am keen to have biopsy tested for targeted treatment.

What is the name of your immunotherapy and why did they put you on it? Thank you x

Dear Kennedy,

It is so very hard at the start. Once treatment starts, it's s new reality. You will get used to it and see positives as you improve.

This site is very helpful x

ellie68
Posted by

Hi Roisinkate

Sorry you  are on this journey.

I was on chemo carboplatin and Pem but it did not do a lot of good.

Onclogiat asked if i wanted to try immunotherapy, i was tested for PD-1 and i was positive.

I am on PEMBROLIZUMAB and are doing very well.

Its worked well for me  and side effects so much kinder than the chemo.

Hope this helps, i do know they are now using this for first line instead of chemo, so please ask nothing to lose.

Take Care Ellie xx

"You Never Walk A Lone"

Roisinkate
Posted by

Thank you Ellie. I will. I am glad it is working well for you  xx

Kennedy
Posted by

Hi Darlo

(If this gets through, this is the 4th time of trying ) 

Im sorry to hear the cancer has returned. Have you been given a date of starting your new treatment? I know from personal experience and it’s easy to say, but try and keep positive x

I start on pembrolizumab tomorrow and after what seems a long time I am pleased that things are moving at last. I have heard a lot of positive things about this treatment and not just from this forum  but from a friend of my daughters. 

Thinking about you and all who have reached out and been so supportive. Xx

Kx

Pembrolizumab 

darlo
Posted by

hope your treatment goes well. i find the waiting the worst was told on the 18th that treatment would be set up .  then received letter on the 24th with another appointment  for the 9th of July with  oncologist  so not sure what's happening. Atezolizumab  is what i was told it would be. only been approved the last month re cost.

Derek
Biscuit 1
Posted by

Hi Ellie,

Probably been asked this before but how often do you have your treatment is it every week or does it vary.was supposed to start chemo today but they are seeing if I'm elligable for immunatheropy now so crossing my fingers heard a lot of good feedback from it.

Thanks

Paul.

ellie68
Posted by

Hi Biscuit

Hope you are doing ok, i have treatment every three weeks. and the side effects for me have been so much kinder than chemo.

I am on Keytruda/Pem

I am going for number 26 next week.

Fill free to ask anything and i hope you test positive for it.

Take Care Ellie xx

"You Never Walk A Lone"