Lung Cancer

A support group for anyone affected by lung cancer to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

Pembrolizumab, immunotherapy and SCLC

JB1963
Posted by

My Mum was diagnosed with limited SCLC last month. She has had 2 chemo session, has 2 more to go, then radiotherapy. She has never smoked, is healthy and is coping well with chemo. However I keep seeing pembrolizumab and immunotherapy treatment cropping up in this forum and other sites. This wasn't discussed at Mums diagnosis appointment. Is it relevant for SCLC? Is it offered further down the line? Should I ask about it at her next oncologist appointment? Don't want her missing out on anything!! Thanks.

Salval
Posted by

Hi, sorry to hear of your Mom's diagnosis.  My hubby was diagnosed last April with non small cell lung cancer. He had 4sessions chemo and 1maintenance chemo. He didn't cope at all well with chemo and it had to be stopped. Immunotherapy was then offered and it has been much better. Pembrolizumab. 

I gather there has to have been chemo tried and some other target.  You need to discuss with oncologist. 

Good luck.

Salval

EMP711
Posted by

Hi Salval,

Are you able to advise how treatment with Pembrolizumab going?

thanks 

JB1963
Posted by

Thanks. That's what I thought. It also seems to be non small cell patients. Maybe its not suitable for SCLC

Salval
Posted by

Hi, it's going well.  Still touching wood tho!!!  its  fairly new treatment from what I can gather.

Big improvement... Hubby was in hospital with anaemia / low platelets etc whilst on chemo. And so breathless.  He walking further and stairs not such a problem when coming to bed.

Heres hoping it continues 

Salval

Salval
Posted by

Hi JB.  Its worth doing a little research etc and asking oncologist anyway

Things seem to progress and change so quickly.

Salval