recently diagnosed

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 29 replies
  • 107 subscribers

Just been diagnosed with lung cancer spread to brain and lymph glands in kidney and liver,Got to go back to hospital on tuesday for biopsy results and treatment plan.Just feel so desperate and worried and feel wots the point after looking on the computer.just hope i can keep going long enough for further new therapies.Sorry to be such a downer i just cant help it at the moment.anybody feel the same

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Chooch, Sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis. Yes it's a really big shock & such a downer. I felt the same way when I was told back at the beginning of January. Probably like you there were no symptoms & was found incidentally. At first I felt what's the point, but after  having my first appointment with the oncologist Dr I was more encouraged. Mine also has spread to other parts. They are coming up with new therapies all the time & I've put my name down for being involved with any trial that is suitable.

There's always hope but be positive no matter what!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thankyou for replying.I must try to be more positive but unfortunately ive been on the internet and its grim reading.I will try anything and im all for trials coz thats how you get cures.Please stay in touch and i wish you all the best i really do.Maybe we can stay positive together i hope.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

My dad was was diagnosed last August with spread to some nodes and a pleural effusion. If you google stage 4 lung cancer with plearal effusion the life expectancy is 3 months. My dad is 7 month in, on chemo which he is tolerating remarkably  well. He had one on Friday and has spent today strolling round the British museum with my mum. Google is not your friend here-the first thing dad's consultant said is don't google as it's outdated information. Wishing you all the luck going forward. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi chooch318

I was diagnosed with lung cancer that's spread to brain and now liver. I had no symptoms, but had a seizure on Christmas Eve 2016.  Chemo and whole brain radiotherapy has slowed mine down and I've had 15 months so far, which I didn't expect after checking the internet.  I been very lucky not to have experienced any dreadful side effects. I've stopped looking up 'mean survival times' on any treatments now.  At first I read average of 6 months survival for me and I was almost living up to it. After it passed I decided to just live and get on with what time I've got left. Everybody is different but I would recommend talking to your oncologist, lung cancer nurse or Macmillan nurse, rather than Google the worst case scenarios.  I hope this helps a bit and good luck with your treatment. 

• FormerMember

I will not google anymore and await tomorrow for all the results and try to make the most of the time i have left.Try to stay as positive as i can but i just wish i could sleep as soon as i wake i cant get back to sleep.my mind is too active thinking about it.Its early days for me  and still coming to terms with it really.Will keep in touch and thanks for replying.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Chooch,

I’m new to this forum and going through the message board, I realize that cancer can be something that we will need to deal in our life. According to cancerresearchuk, the lifetime risk of cancer is 50%, 1 in 2 people born after 1960 in the UK will be diagnosed with some form of cancer during their lifetime…. I’m born in 1977, my younger brother in 1980 and been diagnosed in 2014 with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) Stage III. After one year of unsuccessful conventional treatments my brother, against any advice, he started a treatment of low dosage chemo with some integrative treatments, is now considered in spontaneous remission, is cancer free since 2016. My mother she died of liver cancer in 2008…. two months ago, I noticed a lump in my breast and I remember I was feeling like a thousand things going through my mind and I decide to visit the same doctors who treated my brother and doing some early detection test. I’m waiting for the results and thousand things going through my mind.

LesleyAM

• FormerMember

I really hope your results are good.I maybe may feel better after getting all the results back but i am dreading it but at least i will know what im dealing with.My dad died of lung cancer and it wasnt nice.Just cant believe this has happened but now i will have to deal with it.Got appointment tomorrow will let you know how it goes.Thankyou for replying.

• Hi Chooch318..I was diagnosed last March very similar to you, lung with liver, lymph and back....if you have NSCLC...Non small cell lung cancer you may be suitable for immunotherapy which I am on and feeling great at the moment...no side effects at all..do not look at the internet its scary and not accurate now as new treatments are available depending on your DNA etc.....if you want to research anything look at Christies in Manchester where a lot of trials are taking place for lung cancer and keep up to date with what is on offer so you are informed more when you discuss treatments available or if treatments do not work for you......I was given 3 months to live last March then 2 weeks in summer...still here and doing well on treatments.......I really have a good quality of life ...have given up work and feel no guilt just doing exactly what I want...I live now each day and I must say I am happier now than I have ever been....I know its hanging over me but you can still enjoy life and live with cancer.......it feels very unfair at first and I know how you feel but keep hopeful......good luck...

lettuce
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to lettuce7

You have made me feel a lot better.Just so scary and to be honest still in shock.Just hope they start treatment ASAP coz sitting here i just feel like im dying slowly.Once treatment starts at least you feel like youre doing something.My family are so devasted i  almost feel guilty putting them through it.Wish they could just find a cure but who knows the results wont come out for several years so heres hoping.I am a smoker not smoking now.Like shutting the barn door after the horse has bolted.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to lettuce7

I have NSCLC as well.I am awaiting if i can have immunotherapy like you.They say theres a 60 percent chance once further tests are done.They are not doing anything at the moment as i am so well.I now have to wait until thursday next week.Another wait to go through.They said all the time i am well they dont want to give me anything to make me ill.Dont know if thats good or bad really but am in a better place than this morning.I do hope i am suitable but its in the hands of the gods now not me.Cant help thinking that ive been left a bit.No time frame was given thank god.