Lung Cancer

A support group for anyone affected by lung cancer to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

Pain after lobectomy

boogieliz
Posted by

Hi there, 

My hubby had a his lower and middle left lobes taken out at the end of November due to stage 2/3 cancer, followed by an internal bleed as well as numerous other problems. He is on the mend but at the moment can hardly eat anything and says he feels like he has a brick in the centre of his chest, and tends to heave quite a lot! we are off to see the oncologist on Monday but we just wondered if these feelings are normal? Thanks in advance Liz 

kimmydodger
Posted by

Hi Liz,

I had a right lower & middle lobectomy on Dec 27th. I haven’t experienced the symptoms you describe, but I can sympathise with the post-op pain - mine seems to be localised around/under my right shoulder blade.

Did your husband have his surgical follow-up? Perhaps contact their secretary, explaining the issues and a further apppintment can be arranged.

My post-op follow-up x-Ray showed there is still some fluid in the cavity which will need to be drained if it hasn’t re-absorbed in 2 more weeks.

Presumably, your husband had a post-op drain in hospital? Maybe there is still some fluid lurking which could cause the obstruction? I would be contacting my surgeon for this. 

Sending you best wishes.

Kimberley

boogieliz
Posted by

Hi Kimberly

Thank you for responding. My husband did have his follow up not that it was very helpful to be honest. He came home with the drain in as he had a lot of fluid as well as a pneumothorax, they took the drain out but he hasn't felt right for a while now but we put it down to having the op and because he had an internal bleed he had to go back into theatre and have another op. 

We are seeing oncology tomorrow so we will mention it to them, however I have to say that since he has come out not one person has listened to his chest at all. 

Hope you start to feel better soon 

Liz x

kimmydodger
Posted by

Hi Liz,

He’s definitely been through the ringer. I hope oncologist has some answers and resolution for your husband. 

Best wishes, Kimberley x

JMA
Posted by

Ask to see the surgeon again if you don't get anywhere with the oncologist. I saw my surgeon 3 wks after the lobectomy and I thought that was it. I'd never heard of anyone seeing their surgeon other than just before, during and shortly after an op. I assumed that when I had new pains at the front of my chest 6 mths later, and the oncologist said  this was because the ribs that got broken during the op (news to me that anything got broken) showed no signs of healing, I assumed he must know what he was talking about. He showed me the fractures on the scan. He just advised me to take things easy and not do the stuff I'd started to do, like digging in the garden. I got extremely upset by this, esp as he said that if the ribs showed no sign of healing now, they were never going to. I was so distressed about the whole thing he got me an appt with the surgeon a few days later. The surgeon said the pain was nothing to do with the ribs, because they were broken at the back, not the front, and they would have been hurting since the op as opposed to several months later. He said the pain was due to me stretching scar tissue by trying to do press ups and that if I ever did get pain from the broken ribs, he could easily fix it with a bone or metal graft.

Sorry this is so long and not really that helpful. I guess my main point would be be assertive, oncologists don't know everything, and if they still donT listen to his chest on Mon, ask them why not.

Good luck with it all

Janet