Lung Cancer

A support group for anyone affected by lung cancer to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

Help! Just read my friend's diagnosis letter T4N3M1c

sharonroadnight
Posted by

Diagnosed 2 months ago and she has already had 3 chemos. Seems to be responding well and only a handful of days has she been unwell from it.

Just read her hospital letter, with the above diagnosis. I knew she the primary tumor in her lung and they said it had spread to a lymph node in her neck. Now after reading this I'm wondering if there is more to it!  : am I correct in thinking that N3 means 3 cancerous lymph nodes within the same lung?

And the most scary part of all...M1C, does this mean it's in another organ?

I though I was starting to come to terms with this slowly but this has completely thrown me....

Thanks x

PhilB
Posted by

Hi Sharon Go to

www.cancerresearchuk.org/

It explains most things simply

Phil 

sharonroadnight
Posted by

I did....its the M1c bit that worries me

PhilB
Posted by

Sorry thought you were saying you didnt understand the allha/numeric system Phil  

sharonroadnight
Posted by

I do, but the M1c bit has thrown me as she only told me she had spread to the neck...

PhilB
Posted by

Yes I see. 'Only spread to neck' doesnt seem to be the case.

Difficult without knowing your friend.

I have to know everything and am happy to discuss the situation. My wife, who had breast cancer 2005 is a head in the sand type.

Seems to me that if she is accepting of the general diagnosis maybe she has misunderstood the oncologist.

Not much help I know. Phil
PhilB
Posted by

To try to answer your specific question using a cut and paste:

N3 means there is cancer in lymph nodes:

• on the opposite side of the chest from the affected lung or
  • above the collar bone or
  • at the top of the lung
So the 3 is a stage not a quantity.
Kegsy
Posted by

Hi Sharon

The Cancer Research UK website has a page called Stages of Cancer which clearly explains the various categorisations.

Before you think about digging further into the diagnosis, you may be better focusing on the positive aspects of how well your friend is responding to the current treatment plan.

I wish the best possible outcomes for your friend.

Kegsy

sharonroadnight
Posted by

Thanks Kegsy, you are right I was just having a wobble!

elsie.b
Posted by

My mc1 means the cancer has spread to my ribs . The cancer is being controlled by drugs . Be positive. Xx

Addigoo
Posted by

A short time ago I was looking through my notes to discover that I had two very different diagnosis typed at the top of my letter . When I queried this I was told it was a typing error!! This letter had gone off for me to considered for a trial. Always double check is my advice. 

sharonroadnight
Posted by

Thanks Elsie x