Cruise Travel Insurance

• 3 replies
  • 105 subscribers

Hi Everyone,  My partner is undergoing chemotherapy and treatments for lung cancer at the moment.  This began about November 2021.  We had to cancel our Mediterranean cruise as suddenly his insurance premium rocketed to about 80% of the cost of his holiday!  Yet he is otherwise fit and hasn't taken a day off work due to this cancer.  It seems so unfair,  and I made a point of having an in-depth conversation with a rep from Saga to try and ascertain why! Long story short we're now having a week in Cornwall instead! We've transferred our cruise deposit to October 2024 when I hope we'll get better premium rates.  What do other members think, and what advice a d solutions might you be able to offer us? Thanks,  Woods x 

• Hi woods, cruise insurance is always expensive when you have a health condition, but is almost impossible when you are undergoing treatment. 

Have you had a look at the Travel insurance forum for cancer patients here on the online community. Lots of good advice there. 

I hope you enjoy your holiday in Cornwall. We are going to St Austell ourselves in a couple of weeks time. We are really looking forward to it. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks Chelle, I'll take a look.  Enjoy St Austell!  Because our cruise was end of September we're taking a chance with Newquay in October,  hoping for an Indian summer!  

• Sadly I have spent hours trying to get travel insurance at various times in the last 15 months since my husband was diagnosed with inoperable and incurable lung cancer. I must have tried 15-20 different companies including those listed on BIBA.
    My husband is now on palliative care only as his cancer is no longer treatable and even Insurecancer have been unable to provide a quote (they will only quote if you are actually on treatment). So we are taking short breaks within a couple of hours of where we live and I try to use booking sites which allow free cancellation or charge a small fee to transfer the booking to an alternate date, up to 48 hours beforehand as at least that way if he is feeling too ill to travel we don’t lose too much money.But it’s worth persevering as you never know when you just might get lucky and find a company who will provide insurance at a cost that is reasonable.

Grasan