How do you know when a loved one is close to the end?

• 4 replies
  • 108 subscribers

11 months ago my mum was diagnosed with stage 4 non small cell lung, lymph nodes and throat too. We've received pretty much limited info and help and have just been getting through on info we've found online. Over the past 2 months she's gone down hill quite fast, coughing, on oxygen, constant pain, sleeping lots, no appetite, can barely get up off the sofa and can't manage her stairs either now so she's housebound too. What I am asking is how do you know when a loved one is coming to the end of their journey? Any signs or symptoms we should be looking out for? All doctors and nurses we speak too are reluctant to tell us. 

• Sorry you've not had a response but it's probably a touchy subject as so many of us are stage 4. 

Has your mum recieved treatment? I'd speak to the oncologist and ask them straight, they are usually very good at being honest. Alternatively you could go and speak to a Macmillan nurse at your local macmillan centre. So sorry your mum and your family are going though this.

• Hi RJB1990 I am soeey to hear about your mum. As has said, this group is very supportive and offers great advice for people who are undergoing treatment for lung cancer, but I am not sure you will get your answer here. 

There are other support groups on the online community that you can join where you can connect with other people supporting loved ones with cancer.  

supporting someone with incurable cancer group

Is a very supportive group and you will find several people there who are going through a similar situation to yourself.  You can also call the Macmillan support helpline for support 7 days a week from 8am til 8pm on 0808 808 00 00 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
    • I’m so Sorry to hear about your mum, I lost my mum in January to NSCLC, She was diagnosed the end of October and I was told she would have 3 months maybe more, maybe less. Her appetite was first to start going, she slept more and more and her morphine levels increased daily. In answer to your question, my mums last 12 days were spent in the Marie Curie hospice, during her last 6 days she was unconscious and I was by her side virtually 24/7, (due to Covid, I was only allowed in to the hospice when she was nearing end of life, the last 6 days)I can only tell you from personal experience that as she neared the end, her last days , the breathing was key to it all, it became more shallow and at times irregular, it got more and more shallow each day towards the end. Her final hours, the breathing went very shallow and weak, her chest hardly rising at all, her final breathe was after intermittent breathing and was very very shallow. I feel your pain on what will be a hard and sad journey xxx
  • Hi there

my situation with my dad is very similar to yours. He was diagnosed on Fathers Day and the deterioration is rapid. He’s now sleeping all the time, barely eating and vommiting several times a day. MyPensiveut tells me he’s near the end but I feel unsupported and no one committing either Pensive x