Mum - 6m watch and wait, changes, breathless

• 1 reply
  • 104 subscribers

Hi all.

My mum has had lung nodules being monitored for 7 years after bladder cancer scans showed them. In January they observed changes in size <10mm still, but had CT scan followed bu PET scan. Reading between the lines the cells are behaving as cancer cells would be expected to (hence PET scan, right?) but too small to biopsy accurately. She is not a good candidate for surgery due to lung function and copd. Advised watch and wait and review in 6m.

Recently she's been getting incredibly breathless, can't get upstairs/walk to the end of the garden etc. She's scared. Next CT scan is scheduled for August (no PET scan?), whats the chances of this <10mm mass having grown so significantly its restricting her breathing and now in such a massive way for her to be feeling like this?

Thanks in advance x

• Hi StrongerThanIThought, sorry to hear about your mum.  After reading your post, I would think that your mums breathlessness could be down to a few things. The obvious one being the COPD , but also when we are stressed our breathing does change. I know for me, when I am breathless, I start to worry about it, and that in fact makes me more breathless. I also wonder if your mum needs her blood work checked? We have just had something similar with my dad, who has a form of blood cancer, but he became very breathless and extremely tired. After a routine blood test he was found to be extremely anaemic. Simply sorted with iron tablets. 

It is hard for anyone to say what could be the cause, and until she has this next scan you are not going to know, but I do think it is worth mentioning this to her GP, especially as this is something new. 

Please let us know how she gets on x 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge