SCLC/NSCLC

• 18 replies
  • 105 subscribers

Hi everyone

I have noticed not many people talk about SCLC, I am stage 2a/b and have combined cancer which is not good for me as it is life limiting and not much treatment available out there. My cancer is the top of the right lung and localised and measured at 3 1/2cm when diagnosed, I have not long completed a 20 day high dose radiation course which was fine. I didn't really have any side affects except my temperature went to 34 degrees and hasn't come back to normal yet.

I don't know what to expect now except wait till August for a CT scan to see if the mass has shrunk any but that doesn't really help me with having the SCLC  as well. Will the scan pick up if it has spread anywhere or will it still be to all to show on the scan. I haven't been told what the life span is for this type of cancer but reading up it is approx 2 years and if lucky upto 5 years. All the data is out dated on the net and there is nothing about any new treatments available. I understand that everyone is different but if anyone knows of any new data for SCLC I would appreciate any information or where to look. I'm not suitable for chemo because I have asthma and COPD as well plus I have 2 knees and 2 hip replacement and take avairiety of different meds. Look forward to hearing from anyone going through the same as me. 

Keep well and safe

Grumpynana

• Hi Grumpynana although I have a different lung cancer to you, I wanted to reply to bump your post so it doesn't get missed. Hopefully someone with SCLC will be along to share their story with you.

As you probably know, radiotherapy keeps on working in your body for quite a while after treatment stops, which is why they leave you for a couple of months before scanning you, to get a better idea of how well the radiotherapy has worked. 6 months after my radiotherapy we were still seeing shrinkage in the tumours.  The scan will also show if there is any spread in the body. 

Sometimes people go onto medical trials for new treatments, but your oncologist would only discuss this with you once your treatment has finished and there are no further treatments available for you. If it gets to that stage then you could ask him about any trials that may be available. 

Wishing you all the best.

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you for replying and the info I just feel in limbo at the moment as SCLC seems not a popular subject or there's not many suffering from it.

I know it's hard to talk about it because it is time limiting if you read the journals online. The info given doesn't really give you hope to look forward to. My family joke about how greedy I am not just having one type I have to have both.I hope there are people in the same boat and write what they are going through and not keeping silent about because it does tear you apart inside, especially trying to keep strong for the family. 

Keep safe and well and sending hugs xx

• Hi, I've been diagnosed with NSC lung cancer. T4,NI,M0. Been quite a private person and not knowing what to say, this will be my first post. My first dose of chemo I had to fight for, as my consultant thought I wouldn't tolerate it, he agreed to try at 75%.Paclitaxel and Carboplatin, when I asked what would happen if I didn't have the chemo, was given 6 to 12 weeks . You could have knocked my socks off, I was devastated. 

I did manage the first dose. Had my second dose at 100% and managed that. Severe constipation, the joys, and the pain in my bones and joints, from the three injections I do at home, just after the chemo, for my white blood cell count is about just as much as I can tolerate, pain wise. Due my next dose of Chemo 23rd. 

I then have to have a CT scan, on the 8th July, depending, on the scan, to where we go from here.

I know I'm not going to get better, but at the moment feel well, being positive and taking each day as it comes. 

When I'm bad, I rest,  on my good days I try get out, enjoy time with family and friend's.

• Hi

Sorry hear that you have had to fight for something that might help but at least you got it which I'm really pleased with. I was told exactly the same I wouldn't cope because I'm disabled and have severe arthritis, asta and COPD. I was glad I read up about chemo as its the best one to help with the cancer. I plumbed for radiotherapy to start with and not long finished 20 high doses of the thing. My oncologist in the end did not refuse chemo but asked me to start with radiotherapy first, I have my CT scan in August which is a pain waiting for as te seems to be dragging on slowly. Live life to the full and rest when your body tells you to just as if you didn't have the C word.

It's hard to talk about cancer when it's happening to you because your feelings are all over the place, but I'm here if you want to sound off.

Sending hugs and kisses xxx

• Hi, thank you for your reply, yes it can be difficult to talk about, your cancer, and at first I did try to protect my partner Steve, and my kids, but once I did open up, it was a weight off my shoulders, and now, it's a comfort in a way and we can all joke, and talk about it. 

My Consultant also mentioned radio therapy,  but I still think alot depends on my next scan which is booked for the 8th July, then I see the consultant on the 12th. He's only offered me 3 rounds of Chemo with a possible 4th. Have read on here people have alot more Chemo treatments,  so do wonder why I've only been offered less. Will be one of my questions when I go to see my consultant.

It is hard been in limbo, we are all creatures of habit and want answers now. Think that's the hardest thing the waiting, will I be offered this/that,,,, has the treatment I've had so far worked? And I'm sure we all feel this way on the journey we are taking. 

Take care, Hugs sent your way. Xx

• Hi

Hopefully the s an will give you some good news and there's no more spread. The radio offered may be a really high dose so that's why it's a small amount but like you say you're oncologist will be able to tell you why. 

I can remember telling the oncologist I wanted everything going no matter what, I told him to take it out but because I'm greedy he told me I had both NSCLC and SCLC and pointless for the op. My daughter has been amazing and with me all the way and we decided to tell the grandsons the day I was diagnosed and we told them what the end result was going to. They both thought the radiotherapy would cure me, so now we are making memories and having a good time doing it, it helps with waiting because you don't have time to think about the thing inside you. Maybe once you get your answers you will start to live life to the fullist knowing everything is being done for the best of your health.

Cry when you want to cry and talk about it when you feel ready because I bet you are like me with all the feelings from anger to why me but don't know how to say it. 

Do you have a Macmillians nurse who will support you mine is lovely and she ringse once a month to see how I am and I find I can talk to her on the phone as and when I want.

Love and kisses to you and your family and go and have some fun xxxx

• Hi

Thanks for your reply, yes I have a Macmillian nurse, she phones me every two weeks,  I also have the district nurses on board as well. Both very helpful, show empathy, lovley.

Also making memories,  with my family. Think I'm just waiting to get the scan out of the way, see what's on offer,,,,,,and then I hope I can have a week away with my partner Steve, in UK, just a break away, from hospital appointments,  to unwind, and think about something else. That's if we can fit it in, we will see. 

Been for my Covid test and bloods today,  ready for Wednesday's Chemo.

Big hugs xx

• Hi just checking up on you and to see how you are. It isn't long before your scan and hope all goes well for you and the family. Hope you have been taking the advantage of the nice weather we have just had and been relaxing in the garden.

Let me know how you get on with the scan and what they are going. To do next, keep your chin up. Love and hugs Jean xx

• Hi, thanks for your lovley message, yes it's five days and counting, till my CT scan, funny how it plays on your mind, just when you go bed and need your sleep. 

I had my third chemo, a week, Wednesday, and I'm starting to feel myself again and weening myself off my meds, just taking paracetamol, twice daily now. The effects seemed to kick in earlier this time and more aggressive, but, I know its only temporary,  so that helps getting me through it. The worst is normally over in seven days. 

I've been able to enjoy the garden, and managed to go for a meal for my Grandaughter 21st, with all the family, it was lovley, payed for it the following day though, as it was the Saturday after my Chemo, but we'll worth it. 

And yesterday I managed to take the dogs for a walk for an hour, didn't realise how much effort it took, its because I've not really been doing much, because of my breathlessness,  but took my oxygen, in my little trolley,  now I've done it, will defo do it again, try and get a bit of fitness back.

Hope this message finds you well. 

Hugs , Debs 

• Hi

I am so glad you are getting on with life and starting to enjoy it again, nice to hear you enjoyed your granddaughter birthday. You have done well with your chemo and like you said its only for a short time for feeling rough. 

I find I don't think about it now and get at least 3 hrs sleep which is brilliant for me. I was taken into hospital last week because I keep falling and dropping things. They thought the SCL cancer might of spread to the brain but luckily it hasn't and I still have a brain just waiting for my MRI scan results on the 6th to see if it's gone to the spine, but I'm fit and heathly again and getting on with life.

Keep me posted and fingers and toes crossed you get some good news.

Hugs and kisses Jean x