Scared! Mind in overdrive

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 21 replies
  • 106 subscribers

Apologies if this is not the right place to post. I am isolating today as I have a chest CT scan tomorrow and I’m a mess. I’ve convinced myself it will be a bad outcome. I’m 48, a non-smoker, not that I think it makes much difference. I’ve been in and out of A&E several times with pain in my shoulder and chest pain, had several x rays all of which they say are clear but I’ve read so much about them not being accurate at spotting problems. They say my bloods are very good with no signs of infection, inflammation etc. I had anaemia in the summer which was discovered as I was short of breath when running. This righted itself so shortness of breath not a current problem. No cough, although chest infections in the past. I’ve been feeling exhausted, I wake up early hours of the morning and can’t get back to sleep. I’m so stressed. I’ve pushed for CT through private health care as doctor said not needed due to clear x rays. So scared as this has been going on a while.  Sorry for posting here if not appropriate x

• Hey Gilly

This may indeed be the right place but ALL the stats and evidence you have say that it probably is not!

We regularly get the newly diagnosed along with people who fear the worst and I always say to them; Deal with the things over which you can exert some control and don't worry about anything else, especially as in your case, you have already set the wheels in motion to detect if there is anything to actually worry about.

Once the medics have completed their investigation they will give you the results and as you are private that should be very quick - just have a word with your radiologist before the scan and ask if they will give you an "indication" if there is anything to worry about. Some will but some won't.

If, in the highly unlikely event, this does turn out to be the right place then come back, tell us all about any diagnosis and we will try to give you the Innside track, so to speak.

Until then, try not to worry and

Stay Strong

SiT

Stay Strong

SiT

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to SiT

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and for your advice. Do you mind if I ask  why you think it’s probably not? Thanks again.

• Hey Gilly

I'm no expert but all of the evidence thus far in your post tells me that your medics cannot find, or have not found anything that worries them.

Also it is a known fact that most primary investigations result in NED (no evidence of disease) and I think you are wise to take the investigation forward because you are worried that you do not feel "right"...

Let me assure you, if your oncologists think there is anything to worry about then they would have you on the craziest roller coaster ride of your life - I'll tell you more about that if/when you need to know!!!

In the meantime, try to deal with what is in front of you rather than that which is in the back of your mind (haha - my profundity on a Monday morning ASTOUNDS even me!!!!)

Keep Calm & Carry On (ALWAYS wanted to use that one...)

SiT

Stay Strong

SiT

• FormerMember

Thanks again for the reply. I’m trying to be positive but not doing a very good job. Unfortunately I’ve got myself into a mess and have convinced myself that something has not been seen on the x ray. The problems with google and reading too much...

I’ve read your bio and yes I can see that is a rollercoaster. Sounds like you have some incredible consultants and you are very strong minded. So am I usually....

Apologies for taking up your time but I so appreciate you taking the time to respond. Was thinking I might not get a reply. 

• I can tell you from experience that it is indeed far too easy to let your mind get away from the reality of the situation - it is actually "just" a case of separating the facts from assumptions...

And yes, google can be a completely shit place for the uninitiated, but when you know where to look... it is an almost infinite resource.

The CT, probably with contrast, will show any cancer as tho' a light bulb has been switched on although from the evidence above that's probably unlikely and even if they do find something then it would almost certainly be at an early stage and eminently treatable and very possibly curable. Cancer treatment has come a very long way in the last few years & I am living (for the time being...) proof of that.

If. once you have a definitive response from your medics, you actually need to be a part of this community that nobody ever wanted to join... then come back and you will find that there are many, many good souls who will advise and encourage you along the journey.

I for one hope you have no cause to be here...

Best & Stay Strong

SiT

Stay Strong

SiT

• FormerMember

Thank you for your words of support and advice. I will try and stay focused on reality! I appreciate you talking to me. It’s hard to try and keep functioning normally with the family so thank you for listening. 

• My only piece of advice.....step away from google. The google doctor says I should of died 10 years ago!  Anxiety can make symptoms appear worse than they are, so  a ct scan to put your mind at rest is probably the best. I wish you good luck for the scan, please come back and tell us how you got on.

take care x 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to chellesimo

Thank you for replying, really appreciate it. I am In such a bad internal state today, I’m trying to sort myself out. I appreciate all the advice and feel like I’m being stupid so apologies and thanks for taking the time to reply. I think I’ve actually made my anxiety worse by pursuing further tests, I know I should rely on the clear results I’ve had from the x ray (several) but I’ve also read that this isn’t always accurate. Hopefully I’ll get some answers in the morning and will let you know. Thank you x

• Please don’t feel like you have to apologise. You know your body better than anyone else, if you think there is something wrong you are wise to get it checked, even if it is just to put your mind at rest. X 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to chellesimo

Hi, didn’t get my scan today. Was  in such a state by this morning but knew it needed to happen. Was supposed to have it after a gastroscopy but somehow I was missed off the list and they are fully booked today so I’m awaiting a day to go back. The wait continues alongside my exhaustion and stress.