Mum diagnosed with lung cancer - hope gained from this group!

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 12 replies
  • 106 subscribers

Hello,

My mum was diagnosed with lung cancer yesterday and have to be honest my world fell apart within mins of the consultant telling us.

I came on here last night because I've seen many adverts etc. about Macmillan supporting families and not just patients...I need to be strong for my mum and the rest of our family. I thought with lung cancer you can't get better from this based on very limited experience but from what I'm reading on here that's certainly not the case for everyone.

We don't know full diagnosis because she needs to have a PET scan and Bronchoscopy, the consultant did use the words curative treatment but that depends on if the cancer has spread.

I'll be asking lots of questions over the next few weeks no doubt, apologies in advance.

From what I've read so far, you are all amazing and my mum's a fighter so hope she can have the strength I've seen on here to kick cancers back side!

Sara

• Hi Sara, Sorry to hear about your Mum. There is some lovely people on here that will give you some information.

Im quite new on here and they have helped me. Take care x

Each day a blessing stay strong 

• Hi Sara

So very sorry that you find yourself on here.

When you have the results from all the inevitable but very necessary testing, be sure to let us all know what type of cancer has been diagnosed. This will help to get you advice from those who have experience of that cancer.

Yes, lung cancer treatment has moved on dramatically and a diagnosis is no longer the automatic death sentence it once was. There are so many of us on here who are surviving lung cancer.

Please remember to also look after yourself.

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • Hi Saraj43. 

You and your mum will be feeling like you are on a rollercoaster at the moment, but things will settle down once your mums team has a plan in place. This may take a few weeks if a pet scan, and bronchoscopy is needed first so they can get the right plan in place. 

There are so many treatments available now, and lots of people here with lots of experience. 

Wishing your mum good luck, let us know how she gets on with tests. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Kegsy

Hi Kegsy,

I came across one of your posts, I believe it was your 7yr3m post treatment and it gave me such hope.

I’ll update once we get her results and hopefully will get somw helpful advice/information from you guys.

Kegsy/Chelle - when you have a PET scan and they inject the sugar solution, mums read she needs to lay flat out for an hour. She’s hoping I can stay with her until she goes in to the scan room, is that the case? 

Xx

• Hi Sara

I have a check up every 6 months and over the last couple of years have posted the good news to show the newbies on here that there is always hope. The post you mention will have been my 7.5 years post treatment version.  My next check up is in January and assuming everything is still clear I will do another one. I am planning that one will be my last post on here.

PET scan; that was the one scan I didn't have. Every hospital has its own protocols, so my advice would be to simply ask if you can stay with your Mum until she goes in for the scan but I suspect the answer will be no. At my hospital family and friends have to remain in the waiting rooms for scans, x-rays etc.

Don't worry; she will be well looked after by the staff.

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • Sorry Sara I haven’t had a pet scan either, but have had ct scans, and like Kegsy said, as soon as you are called your family have to wait in the waiting area. 

Hopefully someone who has had a Pet scan will be along with further advice. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • I've had a couple of PET scans. After the injection I was asked to relax for an hour or so whilst the solution did its work. I was told I could sit or lay down but to stay reasonably still and relax. I was able to listen to music but not read or talk and they dimmed the lights whilst I was waiting. I was told it's all to do with the glucose solution not being taken up at a faster rate than normal which could mask potential problem areas or create false positive results and for this reason I was also told not to have any vigorous exercise, such as going to the gym, gardening etc., for at least 24 hours before the appointment.

I hope all goes well and the result is good.

Made in 1956. Tested to destruction.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to excavator

EXCAVATOR

This is the part mum was hoping I’d be able to sit with her but sounds like that’s not possible.

I like the idea of putting some calming/wellness sounds on her phone, hopefully that’ll help her relax.

My mums usually a tough cookie but she was anxious about this yesterday so said I’d try and find out.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Sara,

Excavator is quiet correct as this was my experience with a PET scan I had earlier this year.  I did not take anyone with me and after the usual concern about putting the cannula in (but everybody dislikes that!) it was fine.  I too, did have the lights turned right down and told to lay down & relax.  I did, to the point that I actually dozed off!

I think my only concern was that I had been told to drink a lot of water prior to the scan.  As I had a more than two hour drive to get to the hospital I wasn't sure about drinking a lot on the way there and then finding a loo on the journey if necessary (there are not many facilities in rural locations!).

The only suggestion that I would make is to take a thick cardigan and/or shawl/big scarf/wrap as I was rather cold and asked for a blanket.  But once I'd got my wrap + blanket was soon toastie warm and dropped off.  I would say however, I am prone to feeling the cold and am usually able to sleep on a clothes line with brass band playing.

Please tell mum it's fine and when she's done she will wonder why she was anxious about it.

Artemisa

Kind thoughts to all in this particular corner of the community.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Artemisa,

I’m really hoping my mum will be able to doze off but understandably she’s hardly sleeping. 

I’m taking her out this afternoon and will buy her cozy wrap/cardi and hopefully that’ll make her more comfortable.

The cannula part, she’ll be fine with and we’re extremely lucky to live 15mins away from St James’s in Leeds so won’t have the toilet issue.

Thank you for your reply. 

Sara xx