Metastatic spinal cord lesion

• 8 replies
  • 68 subscribers

Hello, I thought mum was doing really well following completion of her radiotherapy and had high hopes that after her scan they would say it had shrunk…. However she was getting a ‘ new’ pain ( although vaguely in the same area) . Last night she collapsed and lost the use of her left leg and lost all her bladder control. Now awaiting an MRI tomorrow to tell us what’s wrong. I must be sooo naive to have thought that it wouldn’t still grow while she was having radiotherapy. I know feel really negative . Has anyone got anything positive to say about Metastatic spinal cord lesion. And do any treatments work. She has been put on high level steroids ( after pointing out that was the recommended treatment!!) and been told she might be able to have targeted radiotherapy… would immunotherapy not help to shrink tumours. I’m devastated and cried a few rivers today . 

• Hi Fi 21 

I am so sorry to hear about your mum. You must be beside yourself with worry. Hopefully the steroids will help quickly. It is hard for any of us here to say what treatment your mum might be offered now.  Not everyone is suitable for immunotherapy, and radiotherapy does seem to be the main go to for spine mets. Can I suggest you call the Macmillan support line for advice on this. It is a free call number and they are available 7 days a week from 8am til 8pm on 0808 808 00 00. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Well mum had a course of radiotherapy 6 weeks ago so because of that they said that the are offering no treatment!!!!! She previously was told she would be a candidate for immunotherapy ( DNA testing ) I’m going to challenge the decision because mum is otherwise fit snd well snd very independent until day night . Her other organs are ok and it’s just that one main local area. I would phone Macmillan but it’s after 8 pm just now. I just feel there must be something they can offer. The decision was made by a team in another hospital and I feel they haven’t got the full picture of mum. 

• I am so sorry Fi 21. You can ask for a 2nd opinion, everyone has a right to this. You can ask your mums oncologist about this, or give the Macmillan team a call in the morning and they will be able to advise you further about it.

I am so sorry your mum is going through this, and I know how devastated and frustrated you must be feeling right now. It’s a horrible situation to be in. I hope you get some better answers tomorrow. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you , you only get one mum and I want her to have every chance , it doesn’t feel right to just let her slowly deteriorate. Thanks for your reply and time x

• Aw Fi! Iam so sorry to hear about your mum! Push for everything you can.. wishing her a speedy recovery from her collapse, I hope your holding up x

• Thank you , yes going in all guns blazing tomorrow! Xx

• Well I had the absolutely devastating news today that my lovely brave mum is now palliative. Her radiotherapy didn’t work at all snd her tumour has continued to grow in towards her spine. She’s noBroken heartsuitable of immunotherapy on its own due to her low PDL1 levels and the plan originally was to do chemo/ immunotherapy but she’s now not well enough for that. I can’t believe how much a situation,Broken heartopes snd dreams can be changed in 4 days. I am utterly heartbroken Broken heart and I don’t think I will ever get over this x

• I’m so sorry to hear this.. will they not give treatment to make her comfortable? I know where your coming from, I really do. It’s just one blow after another over here with my mum aswell since radiotherapy it seems the good days are coming up short x