Liver, secondary cancer

Secondary liver cancer is cancer that has spread to the liver from a primary cancer somewhere else in the body. This group is for people affected by secondary liver cancer to share experiences and get support.

Ablation

TheCrimsonCodpiece
Posted by

Well I hoped I wouldn't be back but here we are, I had stage III bowel cancer last year all sorted with a hemicolectimi ( they cut it out of the bowel and join it together again) a run of chemo that finished in October 18 and it was  back to life as normal. On my follow up scans this year the looked at some swollen lymph glands in my groin using a PET scan, lymph glands are ok but they did discover a legion on my liver so here I am.

Size in August 10mm, size in October 22mm so they are going to try ablation tomorrow, but at QEHB they can only do this up to about 30mm. If they cannot do this it is another big operation but lets not get ahead of ourselves, I have had a great year and done a lot things I wouldnt have otherwise.

Mentally I feel that Cancer will keep going until it wins, but until that point I am still in the driving seat.

What experiences have others had with ablation?

Ddd213
Posted by

Hi thecrimsoncodpiece, I'm not sure why you haven't had any replies? From a quick search, secondary liver group seems to have less activity than others? ie bowel group. Anyway how did your ablation go? Hopefully well and a success! My husband was diagnosed stage 4 bowel spread to liver and is about to have liver resection and ablation, along with 5 days of radiotherapy on the primary tumour first. The joys!

We went to his pre op today, and apart from having to decide about pain relief (epidural or pca?) and anxious about the recovery time... feel relatively hopeful so far. He had 5 session of xelox this summer with a 9 week break, so it feels better taking action again.

Best wishes for your treatment and results! Keep on giving it the eviction notice!! 

court
Posted by

No Ablation advice but hope it went ok . I would be interested to know how you found it .

My mum has had two liver resections but it’s 10 years since diagnosis and eight years since her liver was last treated . 

Hope your fully recovered,

Court