Kidney cancer

A place for people affected by kidney cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Survival Data for Radio Frequency Ablation

statman
Posted by

Hi, I'm new, recently diagnosed with a 2.5 cm tumour on my right kidney - no symptoms yet. So, very lucky, and very very grateful for such an early diagnosis. I'm trying to decide on treatment. The consultant is pushing for radio frequency ablation (RFA). I'm a 60 year old ex smoker with high blood pressure - so he has some possibly valid concerns re surgery - although unfit I don't think I'm that bad a risk. RFA has some definate advantages with much reduced recovery time, though it seems to have poorer long term survival rates than surgery. I'd feel more comfortable about RFA if I could get some good statistical data, but there doesn't seem to be a lot out there. The data that is out there seems to finish about 2003/4, and doesn't do a good job of analysing survival rates by tumour size, site/location in kidney or grade and there are limited comparisions with keyhole nephron sparing surgery. If anyone out there can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful. David 

Jools
Posted by
I dont have the same cancer - I went on our website and found some info - am not sure if it is detailed enough for your question but it is a start. Best Wishes, Jools xxxx

http://www.cancerbackup.org.uk/Treatments/Othertreatments/Radiofrequencyablation

There is no better excercise in the world than to reach down and lift someone up

statman
Posted by
Hi Jools,

Thank You, that was useful. It didn't answer the stats question, but did answer some other questions I had. Its a very good, informative overview on radio frequency ablation.

Best Wishes David