Kidney cancer

A place for people affected by kidney cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

hi im new

reeces mummy
Posted by

hi there in new im julie im 41 a single mum of 4 i was told on monday i have a tumour growing on one of my kidneys and im so scared 

creative01
Posted by
Hi Julie

Just wanted to say hello - we all have experienced everything you are going through and I am sure someone will soon be on-line with more knowledge than me and will be able to provide you with some support. I have only been a member a short time but have found the support of others here invaluable.

All sorts of emotions come in to play when you are given this sort of news but you just have to start my going day by day and use all the support you are offered.

Best wishes

Judith
Lorna Fernandes
Posted by
Hi Julie, welcome to What Now! Whilst i know that you never expected to find yourself joining us here, i am really glad you have found us. I personally have found this site a life saver, full of wonderfully supportive people who can relate to how i feel. It is totally understandable that you are feeling scared...it is a big shock to the system to be told that you have a tumour. It takes time for everything to sink in and we go through a rollercoaster of emotions, if it is any consolation it does get easier once you know what the plan is for your treatment and care. I must admit that i was scared on one hand but in otherways was unsure how i was supposed to react to the news that i was given....there was so much information to try and process and it can feel overwhelming.

I was devastated and thought it was the end of the world, how was i going to tell my family and friends? How long did i have etc... but let me tell you that, Yes they were really upset but... everyone rallied round and was very supportive. What you need to do right now is to make sure that you eat properly and get lots of rest (you need to keep your strength up), write down any questions that come to mind to ask your team. I never go to any appointments on my own, not through fear, to ensure that someone else understands where we are going and they also might think of something that we haven't. Lots of people take a tape recorder so that they can go over it later when they have a clearer head to process the information.

What Now is a great place to find your feet, express your feelings and generally get things off your chest with people who understand what you are trying to deal with. We have a chat room too where you can say as much or as little as you like, be serious or light hearted dependant on how YOU feel at that moment in time. There is also a "Ask a Nurse " feature, so if people here can't answer via their experiences you can get a more professional opinion.

Please keep posting, be it good or not so good news...we would love to hear how you are getting on. Big (((((Hugs))))) to you and your family.
Lorna
kate jock
Posted by
Hello sweetheart - it's obvious that you are going to swamped by your feelings of fear at this time. It's not an easy journey that any of us with cancer have to go through, but you're not alone, not in the way you're feeling. You'll also find some lovely, warm people on this site who will do all they can to offer you help and advice. Whenever you want to talk about something, just give a yell and I'm sure someone will lend you an ear. Hold on tight to all that you love, with love kate xxxxxxxx
reeces mummy
Posted by
hi kate thank you so much for your reply my minds in a spin got so much to think about i fnd out tomorrow if it is def a tumour as when i went to the hopspital the ct scan results had not come bk but they think its a tumor about 8/10 centermeters so tomorrow is my big day i know they want to take the kidney out when i dont know the sooner the better because my youngest is only 2 and a half bless him i need to get this sorted for the children
bramleyx2
Posted by
Hi reeces mummy I was diagnosed with a tumor on my right kidney and a tumor in my bowel last year , I had my op in oct last year , i had my right kidney removed , and part of my bowel removed luckily my tumors were not connected and had not spread , i didnt need any treatment after my op and ive just had my second clear ct scan !! i can honestly say having only one kidney doesnt feel any different than two ! im back to normal now well im not really im doing loads more than i did before i had cancer ! ! ive got horses and i ride nearly ever day ! good luck tomorrow . xxxx Jane
Jill D
Posted by
Hi Julie. I have a feeling that i sent you an email and not sure if you got it. My name is Jill and i had my left kidney out on the 13 October. They also took my adrenial gland as it had spread to that. I have had an all clear and no cemo was needed. I am almost new again. I have been told that kidney cancer is the easiest to cure. I wish you luck and all the best. Think positive.

All my love Jill New Zealand
Pete.
Posted by
Just wondered how you were getting on and whats happening?

Hope you have a peaceful and easy Christmas R,M.

Best wishes
Pete.