We understand that people with cancer are worried about coronavirus. Here is the latest guidance. We will update it regularly.

Kidney cancer

A place for people affected by kidney cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Stage 4 Kidney cancer now with infiltration - what is this?

Bubbles75
Posted by

Hi, my partner has been diagnosed with stage 4 kidney cancer (20cm tumour) with metastasis in lymph nodes, lungs and back bone.  He has now been told he has cancer infiltration of the left side muscle down into the leg and right side back muscle.  Can anyone explain what this is?  He is currently in hospital having more scans and x-rays so I haven't been able to see him to get all the details.  Feeling a bit overwhelmed with it all.  Thanks

Buttercup19
Posted by

Hi Bubbles75, 

Sorry I can’t answer your question but I’ve replied as I’m in a very similar situation to you, My husband diagnosed recently with 11x9cm tumour on right lung with metastasis in lymph & lung, we are awaiting our first appointment to discuss pathway. 

I totally understand how you feel, I’m numb, in shock and scared.

When was your partner diagnosed as things seem to be slow during lockdown or maybe that’s just me wanting everything yesterday.

Thinking if you 

Buttercup19 x

Buttercup19 
Bubbles75
Posted by

Hi Buttercup19,

So sorry to hear your news.  I keep going from denial type symptoms to mini breakdowns and everything in between so fully understand how you feel. 

For us it seemed to go quite quickly - though that could be as I am in a state of numbness at the moment.  He was admitted to A&E for 'pneumonia' on 15 May and diagnosed with cancer on 19 May and biopsy taken on 21 May.  He came home from the hospital originally on 22 May.  We then had a meeting with a consultant for the biopsy results on 28 May and then got a call from the Oncologist on 2 June to go straight in to see him where he prescribed the treatment.   

When was you husband diagnosed? 

Where are you located?  We are being treated by the Royal Surrey County Hospital and they have been great in responding to queries and getting us in for scans.

My thoughts are with you and your husband.

Sending love and hugs 

Bubbles75 xxx

AnnaSA
Posted by

Hi there,

I wouldn't say I have a lot of information to give that will clear things up for you, but maybe knowing that other people are going through incredibly similar things right now might be a slight comfort?

My father (57) has been diagnosed with Kidney cancer late May and yesterday the results from his PET-scan showed that it has spread to his spine and collarbone at least. He's scheduled in for an operation to remove the affected kidney, but the only thing they can do for the spread is chemo and hope to slow it down.

I know that my dad is currently not in any pain and I hope your partner isn't either. Me and my family are trying to find comfort in the fact that right now we have the knowledge that we have to make all kinds of new memories and tick of many things of my dads bucket list.

I hope that more information about your partners condition becomes available soon and gives you both an idea of what happens next. I truly sympathise with your difficult feelings at this time.

Hi ,

I'm sorry to hear about the situation you and your partner find yourselves in.  I'm afraid I too can't offer any explanation of "cancer infiltration" as I have never come across it before.

I know that it can be difficult to ask for or understand an explanation when you are at the hospital.  I often contact the nurse afterwards and ask for clarification about something that had been said or that I have read in a report.  If they can't explain it then they get the doctor to ring me.  Hopefully your partner will have been told by now what it means.

All the best,

Gragon.

Buttercup19
Posted by

Hi Bubbles 75,

You seem to have had a quick diagnosis my husbands timetable is

23 April CT Scan - 28 April given diagnosis of Kidney cancer by our GP - 11th May Given full diagnosis at Rotherham General Hospital   that it was in lymph & lung and said would fast track for Chemo - 19 May Biopsy and still awaiting results - He has a telephone appointment with Western Park hospital in Sheffield on Monday.

i really feel things are taking far too long and we are wasting precious time.

I really feel for you & your partner too

Please keep in touch and your welcome to send me a PM if you wish too xxx

Buttercup19 
buttercup01
Posted by

Hi , at a guess the " with infiltration" refers to where the cancer has spread to, ie it's infiltrated certain blood vessels, especially as it's stage 4. Tho I stress it's only a guess. The main thing is it's stage 4. But do bear in mind kidney cancer is slow growing, compared to other cancers.

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
Bubbles75
Posted by

Hi , thank you for your response.  It is also my feeling that is what it means, though they have said that they do not need to conduct radiotherapy on the areas as the tablets he is taking should help.  So can only cross my fingers with that.  Unfortunately the consultant seems to think the tumour has been growing already for 6 years before detection.  We are trying to stay positive xx

buttercup01
Posted by

When I was originally diagnosed @bubbles75, the surgeon said mine might've been growing for 5 to 10 years. That was 15 years ago n I'm still here!

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
Bubbles75
Posted by

, thank you - there may be hope out there...