Kidney cancer

A place for people affected by kidney cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Struggling with options.

Ollie22
Posted by

I found the surgeon extremely helpful, if you haven’t been given a Macmillan nurse you should get one after seeing the surgeon, I never spoke to anyone about what I was going through as I didn’t know what to say, I had a radical open nephrectomy, stay positive and keep plugging on, good luck  

Stuff you cancer, you are not going to beat me !!
buttercup01
Posted by

Nooo, don't bury your head in the sand 

It'll b much better once you have a treatment plan.

Glad your mum's going with you tomorrow. Always good to have someone in your corner x

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
PurpleK
Posted by

Hi, back from seeing the surgeon. He was lovely and put my worries at ease. 

Because the tumour is in the centre he said that partial would be difficult but he's going to have a go using robotic, guided with ultrasound but he said its possible he'll have to resort to a full removal which I've agreed too. They are currently having the ultrasound equipment installed so once that's done I'll have my op! Phew 

buttercup01
Posted by

Hi I had a large tumour ( about 10cm) removed by open surgery 14.5 years ago. The surgeon did it via my abdomen, not the bac.We agreed I won't ever b wearing a bikini -too fat anyhow.

Good with  with it done robotically. At least u know it can b done manually if not.

Sue

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
Jo300
Posted by

Hi

I'm so pleased that your decision has been respected. I can only say that I wouldn't worry if you end up with a full rather than partial. Surgery is surgery - it will take as long as it takes to recover regardless. Your kidneys would still have to recover full function - and one can do that alone if it needs to. I was full and it's been totally fine since.

Lots of luck to you in the next few weeks.

Jo
x
buttercup01
Posted by

Hear, hear

Sue