We understand that people with cancer are worried about coronavirus. Here is the latest guidance. We will update it regularly.

Kidney cancer

A place for people affected by kidney cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Struggling with options.

PurpleK
Posted by

My Surgery was at Castlehill near Hull, my surgeon was Mr Youssef 

Phil W
Posted by

Hi PurpleK,

I'd go for the nephrectomy but that's just an opinion. Basically I've sometimes been given options and I usually throw it back at the medical folks and say "what's the best advise from a medical perspective". They do know their stuff and I do also carry out a fair bit of research etc. I believe ablation is a newer method though and if it is recommended then maybe it will be OK. They'll do scans every now and then so if you do get a re-occurrence, you can then have something more drastic but as with everything cancer related it is a big IF.

I had a partial nephrectomy in 2008 when I was 40. All was fine and as it involved an epidural, my recovery was OKish. I was back at work 5 weeks later although it was a struggle for a few weeks beyond that (I was a contractor with family so felt a need to go back asap).

Looking back, maybe I should have had a full one as I felt awful last year for months and it has come back to both adrenals, lungs, brain and shoulder. It is best to be brutal and go for the most aggressive treatment in my view. Cancer is cunning and devious & I wish my consultant had given me some chemo to "mop up" as he put it anything left but in 2008 his view was I was OK.

Phil W
Posted by

Hi KLM,

Interesting to hear your experience regarding the above. Do you know what the criteria is please?

I had a partial nephrectomy 2012. Last year after a few months of illness I had scans etc and the news it's come back to brain shoulder, lungs and adrenals. I had Gamma Knife end of last for brain and am on Nivo (completed 4 doses of Ipi initially).

Last scan showed some increase in tumour size so naturally, pretty scared about the future.

buttercup01
Posted by

Hi , in the old,days ( 15 years ago) we weren't given any options.I had a radical nephrectomy then watch n wait afterwards, via chest  x-rays then CT n MRI scans. I've since had mets in my lungs, brain n omentum. But I'm still here, thanks to Pazopanib.

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
PurpleK
Posted by

Hi, thanks for comments. I'm all good now thank you. I had a partial done nearly 4 months ago! All recovered now

buttercup01
Posted by

Hi , nice to know it's all done n dusted!

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.