Kidney cancer

A place for people affected by kidney cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Post op result.

jimbo24168
Posted by

Hi,

New to the forum so hope this is the right section to post this to.

I was recently diagnosed with kidney cancer and had my right kidney removed.

A7 weeks after the operation I had a post-op interview with the surgeon who said that on the Leibovich scale I scored 0, which is good.

However, today I have received a copy of a letter to my GP that says it was a clear cell carcinoma, Fuhrman Grade II, T1a, completely excised. All margins Leibovich 0.

It's the Fuhrman grade II, T1a I don't understand because I assumed before I received this letter that I had a grade 1 cancer, but now it looks as if I had a grade 2 and the chances of it returning have increased.

Can anyone shed any light on this, please?

Thank you.

Joncol
Posted by

Hi

that is a fantastic result. My histology also showed furhman grade 2 which is considered low risk of return. I had T1b which means the tumour is larger than 4cm but smaller than 7 cm. your tumour was less than 4cm therefore T1a. Your leibovitch score of 0 is fantastic. Mine was 2 because of the larger tumour. I get six monthly follow ups and have been told there’s very little chance of recurrence. Hope this clarifies things.

Jane
jimbo24168
Posted by

Thanks for that, it does set my mind a little easier.

It was the Fuhrman Grade II that worried me which I assume means it was a grade 2 tumour rather than a grade 1, which is what I thought it was, and therefore much less likely to spread.

I will be getting 6 monthly scans for the next 3 years which hopefully will all be clear but until then I suppose it is natural to be terrified that it has spread or will return.

Jo300
Posted by

Hi

I'd say that's definitely a great result! If it helps put your mind any further at ease my friend was grade 3 and has been clear 7 years now.

Fear is the one thing we all live with, but it gradually gets better in a surprisingly reasonable amount of time. Each scan will give you a bit more confidence. 

I'd be feeling very positive if I were you.

Jo
x
jimbo24168
Posted by

Thank you Jo, that's reassuring. As you say, fear is something we live with unfortunately.  I am going to have a private CT scan shortly for extra peace of mind.