Kidney cancer

A place for people affected by kidney cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Just diagnosed and having surgery

Ethelmay
Posted by

Aww Spin, so glad the op went well xx Glad to hear that you're feeling better today too xx Love and hugs xx

Love and hugs

Ethelmay x
carol19
Posted by

hi jane

ive also had my kidney removed last month, no one advised me about diet, I know my remaining kidney took a dip in function, but I don't know yet how much ,did you have any advice ? carol x

Joncol
Posted by

Hi caza123

my surgeon immediately after surgery told me to have a low protein diet. I didn’t cut all protein out of my diet but halved it. So half a chicken breast instead of a whole one. Half a yoghurt etc. It seems to have worked as my remaining kidney is doing a good job by itself!

Jane
Jo300
Posted by

Glad to here the op went well. I think you're day 4 now so hopefully nearly ready to go home. Looks like it's going to be sunny this weekend - so out in that garden to relax!!

Jo
x
Jo300
Posted by

Hi

My friend really struggled to regain function until he did a lot of research and started to drink Nettle tea (Holland & Barret, or Waitrose do a mint nettle mix). After a year of no joy, his function corrected immediately. On his advice I drank it from day one and never had a dip. I have no idea if that's luck or voodoo, but worth a shot. Once you get used to the taste (it's not unpleasant) its actually quite refreshing instead of builders tea. Good luck!

Jo
x
carol19
Posted by

thanks jo

I will get some asap thanks for sharing x carol

carol19
Posted by

thank you jane

I coulnt give up protein completely, but I will certainly cut down x

buttercup01
Posted by

My surgeon never mentioned re cutting down protein.

V interesting. Mind you, that was 14 years ago n I've also been a  vegetarian for over 40 years, so it could be  the meat,  rather than the actual protein? I do have dairy tho n eggs

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
carol19
Posted by

Hi buttercup01

Maybe your fiction was good so he didn't need to ,although mine function fell after the operation but I still wasn't given any advice x carol

buttercup01
Posted by

As a ( retired) librarian, I loved the predictive test "fiction" lol.

I also have routine CT scans every 3 months n have to have a blood test a week before, to ensure my creatine levels are up to having the injection as part of the CT. Guess that checks kidney function, which- touchwood's been OK till  now

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.