Kidney cancer

A place for people affected by kidney cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

update

pugs2411
Posted by

Hi,

Been a bit quiet recently waiting for appointments etc. 

So hubby is having a radical nephectomy on the 23rd for 10.5cm tumour. 

He has been classed at T3 M0 N0, he’s a bit shocked he’s stage 3 and a bit worried but I’ve told him the zeros are good news. unfortunately he read the stat that only 58% live beyond 5 years with stage 3 kidney cancer

Am trying to be reassuring 

Thanks

buttercup01
Posted by

Well, u can reassure him there's folk on here who've lived beyond   5 years with  stage 4 kidney cancer - me for one. I had my first secondary in 2008,  2.5  years after my nephrectomy n I've had several since. I'm now 14 years post nephrectomy. Was on Pazopanib  2013 till 2016, been on a treatment break since then.

I'm sure I can't b the only one...

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
buttercup01
Posted by

Good luck to your hubby for the 23rd!

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
buttercup01
Posted by

Good luck to your hubby for the 23rd!

buttercup01
Posted by

Oops...

Ethelmay
Posted by

Truly wishing your hubby good luck for the 23rd xx I am waiting consultation pre removal of mine too, 11 cms x 9 x cant remember the other figure. Im sure we will get through it all ok. Love to you all x

Love and hugs

Ethelmay x
buttercup01
Posted by

Good luck to u too Ethelmay. Hope u don't have to wait too long to know op date x

Jo300
Posted by

Lots of luck to your husband x

I'm 5 years post nephrectomy and while I'm also stage 4 now I'm totally stable. My Friend who was stage 3 two years before me is now at 7 years clear.

I suspect 58% is also an old figure relatively speaking because our drugs for advanced kidney cancer (stage 4) are developing at a very significant pace and so therefore are our survival rates.

Stage 3 is good. Even better if there turns out to be no obvious spread outside the kidney.

Jo
x
pugs2411
Posted by

we had a call last night from the hospital with a cancellation for today so he’s currently in surgery!

pugs2411
Posted by

Got a call saying he’s in recovery but it was a tricky tumour and did tear so some spillage! Is this serious? 

buttercup01
Posted by

Oh wow, a cancellation!

You might want to "ask a nurse" - start a discussion in that group like in other groups, or call the helpline

0808 808 0000. 

I've no idea re" did tear so some spillage" . Any one else?

That's why I suggested asking a nurse or the helpline.

pugs2411
Posted by

thank you

Gragon
Posted by

Hi ,

Just wanted to wish you both all the best.  I also have no idea what "spillage" is.  You might want to call the hospital back for some more clarification or else ask your GP to do so on your behalf.  They would be able to access the information regarding the operation directly.

Gragon

Jo300
Posted by

Lots of luck to you both with your husband's recovery. I haven't heard of the tear and spillage term either I'm afraid. Sounds like a little blood loss, but obviously nothing they weren't able to control.

Jo
x
Ethelmay
Posted by

Ah...floral woman...just found your name change post yes, easier to type  lol x Thanks for your good luck wishes xx

Love and hugs

Ethelmay x