Kidney cancer

A place for people affected by kidney cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Worried

rmjj64
Posted by

HI

I am a 54 year old female who was on this site about a year ago complaining of pains in my side and i subsequently had a ct of my abdomen in March 2018 which was completely clear.

on 15th of April 2019 began getting sharp pains in left side beneath rib cage which at times has given me low back pain and groin pain intermittently. Went to doc who dip tested urine showing no results at all . Pain was getting stronger went back two days later and duty doc prescribed cocodamol at lowest strength to deal with pain. I have been sick 4 times since 15 April and i have had pain in liver area occasionally. Bloods were taken and today doc called with results saying that infection markers are up, potassium is a little high and liver function results is a little high. I asked if we could have an ultrasound done however at the moment she says she doesnt think it will show much! Have arranged for bloods to be redone on 14th May and i have to hand urine sample in.

I know there is something very wrong from the pain i have been getting and i am now frantic that there is more delay esp when i have been suggesting ultrasound from the very first doc i saw. 

Cookiestars
Posted by

Hey I suffered the same side pains for a while and shoulder too I went for a scan for I frequent heavy periods and they found the tumblr right kidney seven cm . This was in November 2016 . Had to wait to June 2017 for nephrectomy as was renal cancer I have a small left kidney so they had to leave part of the cancer kidney so they took the cancer away and left quarter right kidney . I get low kidney function a lot of pain still and ct scan every six months . What I would say is if you know your not right even go to accident and emergency they will send you for a scan my hair started to fall out as well so I knew something was not right with my body . Am 44 hope you get the answers xx

rmjj64
Posted by

Hi cookiestars

Pains were around for 2 weeks then disappeared however I am v concerned that the night sweats the doc told me were menopause related were actually related to cancer. Having blood taken again Tuesday and doc telephone appointment Friday  I am going to insist on imaging as convinced something is very wrong

rmjj64
Posted by

Just got urine test results and blood test results back from doc. Blood results were ok but i have been diagnosed with diabetes. I am a bit shocked but i said that i was far more concerned about the ;pains , sickness and night sweats. She finally agreed to refer me for an abdominal ultrasound but that was as far as she was prepared to go given that i had a ct scan of abdomen n March 2018. She didnt really want to refer me.I would have wanted a ct scan but it was clear that she wasnt going to wear this. i dont know how long the ultrasound appointment will take to arrive but i guess i will have to just bear with it

kjkinch
Posted by

Hi. I realise you must be worried but the ultrasound should pick up any signs of kidney cancer. I went to hospital with an unrelated gallstone infection and they carried out an ultrasound scan, they said there was a little shadow on it and it wasnt clear (but Im guessing they could see a lump) once the doctor had examined it he sent me for a ct scan where they found a 5cm mass. I am also told that blood tests can detect Cancer ?  So I am sure the doctors have all bases covered for you. If they thought you needed a CT scan I am sure they would have carried one out. 

kjkinch
fl0ralW0man
Posted by

I had an ultrasound which picked up my kidney cancer 14 years ago. Once that happened, it was all systems go to give me a nephrectomy. Yes, I'm still here n living with my cancer, several secondaries on.

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
rmjj64
Posted by

HI Fl0ralWOman

Thanks for your post. The waiting is the worst as the referral was not put as urgent so the date for the scan is 18 June. I am getting increasingly worried as i am getting pains where my liver is and i am feeling a bit nauseous. The sudden diagnosis of diabetes preys on my mind just in case the pains in my side are not being caused by the kidneys but by something else like the pancreas. 

kjkinch
Posted by

Hi mjj64

The waiting is the worst, the what ifs and the not knowing, so i sympathise with you. My surgeon says I will imagine I have everything wrong with me now I know this is cancer is inside me - none of it true! I have been told that kidney cancer does not cause pain until the later stages, one of the early signs is blood in the pee - I have had none of these, I am keepinh my fingers crossed for you for the 18th. 

kjkinch
fl0ralW0man
Posted by

Hi rmjj64,

Is there any way you can get the scan brought forward? Sometimes you can get a cancellation so it's worth a try.

If not, then the pain may not be your liver - I had a pain on my right side at the front, but it turned out to be the tumour on my right kidney that was causing it. Reads like you've been consulting Dr Google - a very mixed blessing! - or you know a fair bit about anatomy - again a mixed blessing, as I know only too well myself lol.

I won't say "Don't worry" as we all know what it's like waiting for scans and their results ;  even 14 years down the line I still get anxious with my regular 3-4 monthly check up scans.

Small wonder you are feeling nauseous - worry will do that too.

We're here for you

Love n hugs xx

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
rmjj64
Posted by

HI flOralWOman

I will try and call the hospital where the ultrasound is due to be taken and see if it can be done earlier. Yes i would have to admit to googling which i know is not a good idea but which is difficult to resist especially as my own gp clearly doesnt think there is anyting wrong with the kidneys. That said she did not come up with a suggestion as to what was causing the pain and sickness.

I am increasingly concerned about the pancreas given the location of the pains in left flank and lower back and recent diabetes diagnosis but i phoned to try and get another gp appointment and the soonest i can get is 19 June. I have accepted that one but my head is thinking of the growth that could be taking place within that time. 

fl0ralW0man
Posted by

Does your GPs surgery have urgent on the day appointments? Also, can u see a different doctor there  as this one doesn't seem very helpful? I soon learned I needed to be stroppy ( aka assertive) if I wanted to get things moving. Luckily, kidney cancer on the whole is a slow grower so that's a small blessing lol. 

The pain n sickness could of course be gall bladder related - years ago I had gall bladder probs which gave me pains in my shoulder as well as both sides of my stomach. The ultrasound will show as well  if a there's anything going  on with your gallbladder.

Will be thinking of u on 18 June. Let us know if u get an earlier date x

rmjj64
Posted by

Hello flOralWOman

I havent managed to get an earlier scan but i have managed to see a different doc. Alas the appointment was really a waste of time as she seemed to think that anxiety could be causing the sickness and pain. I have met with this doc before and she and i dont seem to get on so clearly nothing has changed. 

The pains in the tummy area are relatively new in the last two weeks however i feel that they are related to the ones i have had in my left side. She said she wasnt prepared to instruct a ct scan on the basis of two weeks of pain. She wouldnt let me explain about how i felt it was related to the side pain. The whole appointment really upset me.

I have an appointment with another doc in two weeks time the day after the scan although its probably too close to the scan date.

fl0ralW0man
Posted by

I'm sorry you're being given the run-around when you're clearly in pain and upset. I can't see your profile just now but I'm wondering if u have anyone that can go with u when u have your doctor's appointments? They can act as both moral support as well as taking notes if need be in answers to your questions.

I always write down any questions and/ or comments I have in advance, finding it helps me to focus on them.

Good luck with your next doctor's appointment, even it is too soon after the scan for u to get the results. At least u can hopefully explain your concerns and be taken seriously.

fl0ralW0man
Posted by

I'm sorry you're being given the run-around when you're clearly in pain and upset. I can't see your profile just now but I'm wondering if u have anyone that can go with u when u have your doctor's appointments? They can act as both moral support as well as taking notes if need be in answers to your questions.

I always write down any questions and/ or comments I have in advance, finding it helps me to focus on them.

Good luck with your next doctor's appointment, even it is too soon after the scan for u to get the results. At least u can hopefully explain your concerns and be taken seriously.

fl0ralW0man
Posted by

Btw, u might want to update your profile to reflect your current situation