COVID-19 and the Community, what would you find helpful?

We’ve been seeing lots of discussions across the Community about the impact of COVID-19. With cancer patients being largely impacted in many ways by the pandemic, we want to know how we can support you better.

Here on the Community, we produce content every week for our Community News Blog. In a few of our recent blogs, we've talked about shielding and the vaccine. We also host guest bloggers and share experiences, information and guidance. We want to know what you would find helpful, and what you’d like to see more of.

Below is a quick poll, to help us understand what you’d like to see more of on the Community throughout lockdown. The poll will only let you select one option, so please pick your top concern. 

Thank you very much in advance for taking part in the poll. Your feedback will help us to provide the information and support our members would like to see, and ultimately help us create a better Community for anyone who might be needing us at this time. 

• I am now apparently cancer free but no post-cancer elective surgery is being offered pending covid surges.  I appreciate many are worse off than me but I am overdue a complex stoma reversal and am wondering whether elective surgery can ever be offered alongside covid or is the NHS now in an elective start-stop-start-stop cycle that will take years to unravel.

• Excellent question. I am in the same situation so I look forward to reading others opinions. 

• Thank you very much to all who have taken part in the poll so far. 

I am sorry to hear of your experiences, and but thank you very much for sharing. Your comments will help us plan the information and support our members would like to see. 

Thank you for helping us develop the Community.

Steph
    Online Community Officer
  • I'm currently considering how best to use this site. Whilst incurable i sometimes think i need to spend time away from cancer. It's a fine line between supporting being supported and living as best as i can Whilst the cancer is managed

• You are bang on there YoungMan.

• Tips on how to spend quality time together during lockdown please.

• I am living with with incurable NSCLC & sometimes use the site for conversations with like minded people but find it difficult to navigate 

Lilie
    #livingwithcancer #lovinglife
  • Without doubt, peer group support is VITAL for the well being of any sufferer, at any stage.

I joined the We Can Survive Singers (group for cancer sufferers) here in Barnsley, which provides a welcome release from our Cancer woes, with the music/singing aiding our well being immensely. It also produces a magical bond between us that allows any and all emotions/thought/worries to be confidentially shared.

Throughout the pandemic, we have used Zoom for virtual singing sessions and Whatsapp for conversation/quizzes, which have been just as essential, but a poor second best to physical meetings.

• Hi everyone, 

Thank you so much for all your comments. It's really useful to have your suggestions on what you would like to see more of on the Community, as well as your feedback about the site. All of your comments will help us improve the information and support provided on the site, to make sure the Community is the best it can be for our members. 

If you would like any further information or support on any of the issues or suggestions raised, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email on community@macmillan.org.uk

Kindest regards, 

Rachel
    Macmillan's Community team 

• Hi everyone,

A huge thank you for taking the time to fill in our poll and leave comments below. We really appreciate hearing your thoughts.

We'll be taking this feedback and our poll results to feed into our internal Covid Response Team, who also help manage content over in our covid hub. If we have any updates to share off the back of this, I'll post them here.

We'll also use this information within the Community team to create more content in our Community News blog, but in the meantime, you might find some of our recent blogs helpful:

Looking after yourself, by yourself

Cancer and shielding

Resilience - coping in the eye of the storm

The coronavirus vaccine and cancer: finding the right information

Exercise and moving your body

Best wishes,

Ellen
    Macmillan Community Team