Head and neck cancer

A place for people affected by head and neck cancers, including oral, throat , larynx (voice box), salivary glands, middle ear, and sinus and nasopharyngeal cancer. Support one another, ask questions, and share experiences.

nomac
Posted by

Joycee
Posted by

Hello Nomac.   I am sorry to hear that your Mum has been diagnosed with a mouth cancer, it is a traumatic time for everyone concerned. Yes, the waiting is the worse and I am surprised that your Mum's next appointment is that far away .... I assume that this will be with the Consultant himself who will tell you what the treatment plan is.

Once everything is planned then you just go with the flow of it all .... you'll find that there will be appointments for various tests / checks and it will feel like the medics have taken over your lives. However, this isn't a bad thing because they know what needs to be done and when.

Almost five years ago I had extensive surgery followed by radiotherapy for a cancer on the floor of my mouth ( there are more details on my profile, just click on my name / avatar ) but I have got through it all with help and support.

It can be a bit of a long-haul journey with some rough patches, but it is do-able .... there are some lovely people in this group who have been through it either as the patient or a carer for their loved ones. So there is help, support and information when you need it .... you don't have to feel alone in this.

So yes, try to stay strong and positive for your Mum because she will need you .... and encourage her to eat well so that she is in good shape for when the treatment starts ( by well, I mean good nutrition to help build up her defences and immune system ) It's also important for her to keep her weight up as she may lose it during the treatments, but do bear in mind that no one is the same and we are all affected differently.

Importantly, put your faith in the Consultant and his team because they will do their utmost for your Mum and help her through it all. Take care and best wishes.

Joycee x

nomac
Posted by

Thanks for reply so quickly Joycee,  and your kind words, yes everything  else has moved so quickly, but the consultant is off this week and they only do one surgery a week. so will have to just wait. yeah im trying to stay strong and positive but at the same time preparing for the worst, its not  easy juggling the two as you know. do you mind me asking Joycee how long after your surgery did you start your treatment? xx

Joycee
Posted by

Hello again Nomac.   I'm sure that when the Consultant is back then things will start moving, yes I know exactly how you are feeling at the moment .... but try and hang on in there.

Right, I had my surgery and the planning for the radiotherapy began about five weeks after that - I think they wanted to give me time to recover from the operation and the for the neck dissection scar to heal a bit, so it was about six weeks in between ( give or take the odd week as it was so long ago now ! ) My RT consisted of twenty fractions - ie twenty treatment sessions over four weeks on every week day and that was it .... but do bear in mind that no one is the same and their treatments will differ, it's all planned to suit the type of cancer and the patient. So just take it one day at a time, take care.

Joycee x