Head and neck cancer

A place for people affected by head and neck cancers, including oral, throat , larynx (voice box), salivary glands, middle ear, and sinus and nasopharyngeal cancer. Support one another, ask questions, and share experiences.

Tonsil Cancer - Newbie

AnnaLJ
Posted by

Ahh..I’m going tomorrow for more info on the PEG..I know I’ll just be sedated..did you have RT?..very best wishes 

Anna x

Anna......
Ron51
Posted by

I had Radio if you are asking me, the first time the tried to put mine in they couldn't as I couldn't open my mouth wide enough, I was sedated and woke up in a different room so wouldn't of known about it and it was the same with removal. They did mine eventually when I was having my first opturater (a plate to fill a hole) a fixed one removed and a removable one in so I was well out that time.

AnnaLJ
Posted by

I was just wondering about the radiotherapy mask..it’s that that is worrying me really x

Anna......
chris2012
Posted by

Yes I did have radiotherapy and chemo , and did not have any bad side affects and took things one day at a time as you will have good and bad days. All the best .

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it !                Click here to find out more

Ron51
Posted by

The mask is not a problem you just lay on a bed and they put a warm mesh over your face and mold it to be a snug fit, and you have to wait a short time for it to set, I should stop worrying about it as after that you only wear it for a few minutes every day.

AnnaLJ
Posted by

Thank you x

Anna......
June1989
Posted by

I read all posts with empathy and understanding. My husband is just coming to the end of his 7 week chemo/radiotherapy treatment and wanted to share his story which I hope will help others on this journey. As with others' experiences, he had to have teeth removed and a RIG (peg) fitted in advance of treatment commencing.  He is due to finish this Wednesday coming (19June) and so far has not had to use his RIG, his swallow has remained in tact and is managing to eat quite a varied diet with minimum issues. Don't get me wrong, he has had challenges over these last week's - nausea to be brought under control, problems with mucus and saliva which had to be managed and thrush which required treatment.  He has lost weight, but supplements with nutrition drinks/shakes and is fatigued most of the time. But we feel so lucky so far in as much that the side affects are less harsh than some experience. Look ahead to your journey which may not be as bleak as expected.

sridhar
Posted by

@June1989 where is your husband treated? is the radiation type different?

AnnaLJ
Posted by

Many thanks for your words..it does make me feel better 

very best wishes to you both x

Anna......
June1989
Posted by

He is being treated for left tonsil/base of tongue.  The same radiotherapy/chemotherapy 35 sessions combination, as discussed by other head and neck cancer patients. Does that answer your question ok?

sridhar
Posted by

yes