Head and neck cancer

A place for people affected by head and neck cancers, including oral, throat , larynx (voice box), salivary glands, middle ear, and sinus and nasopharyngeal cancer. Support one another, ask questions, and share experiences.

radiotherapy effects for SLE sufferer

SuzyS
Posted by

hello

is anyone out there aware if the effects of radiotherapy to the head and neck area are affected if you have SLE - this is systemic lupus whihc I was diagnosed with in 1996.  I was treated with a type of chemo at the time and after an acute period of about 9 months I was in remission for quite a few years.  I took steriods for about 7 years but had very few flare ups of the disease except periodic problems with swollen fingers.

I have just started RT to my neck and back of throat and am very nervous in case the side effects of RT - bad at the best of times - may be harder for me to tolerate due to the fact that I have SLE which is an auto-immune disorder, which amongst other things, can often affect a person's mouth. 

any news would be most appreciated if anyone knows about this, or indeed if any of you have also had SLE

many thanks Suzy