We understand that people with cancer are worried about coronavirus. Here is the latest guidance. We will update it regularly.

Head and neck cancer

A place for people affected by head and neck cancers, including oral, throat , larynx (voice box), salivary glands, middle ear, and sinus and nasopharyngeal cancer. Support one another, ask questions, and share experiences.

Vulnerable patient shielding & supermarket deliveries

JoMar
Posted by

Folks, 

My husband and I have both been told to shield. So I’d like to ensure we can get supermarkets deliveries in place ASAP. 
I’ve registered on the Government’s extremely vulnerable patient site  but have yet to hear anything back from them. Their phone numbers do not enable access to an advisor either. 
Can anyone tell me how to ensure I can get supermarket deliveries in place? 

Big thanks 

Jo 

PamelaJ
Posted by

Im in same position, no joy with the government website, GP confirmed that they had informed the council, but when I called the council they said they couldn't help with deliveries from supermarket only that they could get someone from citizens advice to pick up shopping for me, so may be worth ringing your local council to see if they have anything in place.  The other places for deliveries that I found were Iceland, if you email them and explain they will give you a slot, also if there is a Brakes cash and carry near you they are doing deliveries and have been really helpful.  For some reason I don't get the food parcels that the government website mentioned.  I was told by the council that it is because I came to the "party" too late

Pamela

Beesuit
Posted by

Jo and Pamela

Try the supermarkets themselves. They have a dedicated number. 

Dani
Squamous Cell Carcinoma base of tongue diagnosed September 2018. T2N0M0. 67Gy radiotherapy over six weeks December/January 2018/19
The blog is my personal cancer journey, warts and all. 

LH66
Posted by

Hi, 

Came across your message. I believe the government forward your details to the supermarkets and if you've registered with them they will email you saying have priority. We signed up initially with Asda, Waitrose and Sainsbury's. Once Asda got in contact with us they gave us a recurring slot, every Fri 11-12, this is guaranteed till Oct. No other supermarket has offered this. Good luck.

Take care

Lisa x

JoMar
Posted by

Shall try that route. Thanks for the tip. 

Jo x

BrandyGirl
Posted by

Hi Pamela

Came across your post about supermarket deliveries.  Hubby is on the government shielding list and initially it was chaos.  Now much better.  I get a delivery once a week now but one week we had to move delivery day at short notice.  The customer service team were brilliant and although it may say on the website that they cannot sort out delivery slots in fact they can and do - at least that has been our experience.

We learnt that on this journey you often have to ask for what you need to get you through and keep asking.

My motto :-  One step at a time. One day at a time.  Deal with whatever that day throws at you and then move on.  (It worked for us through some very dark times).

BrandyGirl
PamelaJ
Posted by

Thank you, I think your absolutely right, one day at a time, and keep asking, as my mum says "you've a guid Scots tongue in yur heid, use it"

Piya10
Posted by

That made me smile imagining how some might pronounce some of those words. I'm Dundee born but live south London now.

Piya10
PamelaJ
Posted by

haha born in Lanark, moved to London 1995 supposedly for a year and never went back, now been in Berkshire for nearly 20 years. Everyone says my accent is still very strong, but then I go home and they say I talk English