We understand that people with cancer are worried about coronavirus. Here is the latest guidance. We will update it regularly.

Head and neck cancer

A place for people affected by head and neck cancers, including oral, throat , larynx (voice box), salivary glands, middle ear, and sinus and nasopharyngeal cancer. Support one another, ask questions, and share experiences.

Sinister Neck Lump and Mutant Tonsil

RadioactiveRaz
Posted by

Hi Pamela could be too perfumed save it for after treatment to pamper yourself .the Elizabeth Arden stuff .

Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com

i give a honest account of my experiences with tonsil cancer 

T2N2NM equals tumour size 2-4 cm 2 affected lymph nodes  later changed to several after pet ct scan NM no distant metastatic .35 radiotherapy sessions and 2 out if 3 planned cisplatin chemotherapy sessions.   Now fast approaching the 2 years since end of treatment. Good luck to anyone starting out will always help if I can  

PamelaJ
Posted by

Did anyone use Complan, I know its a bit old fashioned but Im struggling to eat even now, they think I have an infection on the tumour on my tonsil, the other tonsil is fine but my ear, jaw, sinus, head and neck are all really painful, head feels like its swimming, hitting the painkillers early, and the antibiotics as don't want anymore delays to treatment.  

Pamela

Beesuit
Posted by

Poor you that sounds horrid. Complan is not nutritionally complete. Ask your GP to give you Fortisips or Ensures on prescription. If the practice won’t ( expense.... and some GPs are bad at that) get your hospital team to request that your doctor does. The shakes provide 2kcal per ml and come in 200 ml bottles. Lots of different flavours. 
Meantime I have half a dozen just expired Ensure sachets you make up yourself if you would like me to post them. 

Dani
Squamous Cell Carcinoma base of tongue diagnosed September 2018. T2N0M0. 67Gy radiotherapy over six weeks December/January 2018/19
The blog is my personal cancer journey, warts and all. 

PamelaJ
Posted by

Thanks Dani, that explains why I've not heard of complan for many years, I've ordered some fortisips and ensure compact, the only flavour I can tolerate is strawberry, though this might change when the treatment starts. I found the chicken complan and thought that might be a solution.  

Ive always avoided milk as its not good for my psoriasis and I don't like the taste but I might try it again as its not an allergy or intolerance, yes I would appreciate the expired ones if thats ok, date doesn't make any difference with dried food so should be fine.  Thank you so much.

What about things like ovaltine are they any good, also trying to get a selection of fruit teas, avoiding the generic red ones as they all taste quite tinny.

Pamela 

MikeO
Posted by

I've used Complan for breakfast for six years now, still can't get anything solid down without choking first thing.

What is a Community Champion?

Metastatic SCC of right medial piriform fossa plus four malignant lymph nodes diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014.

http://mike-o.blogspot.co.uk/

RadioactiveRaz
Posted by

Pamela Don’t order too many get the dieticians involved or dr I still get mine vis G P admittedly I had to involve the  CCG to starts with as g p wouldn’t prescribe them even though it came from dieticians.

I don’t use many but have them as there’s stilk days when I have a bad eating day,,

re teas u haven’t had proper tea in over 20 years I use peppermint misty or liquorice but inky one a days as can raise b p .yiu could try chamomile personally I don’t like it. There’s de caff coffee as well

Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com

i give a honest account of my experiences with tonsil cancer 

T2N2NM equals tumour size 2-4 cm 2 affected lymph nodes  later changed to several after pet ct scan NM no distant metastatic .35 radiotherapy sessions and 2 out if 3 planned cisplatin chemotherapy sessions.   Now fast approaching the 2 years since end of treatment. Good luck to anyone starting out will always help if I can  

PamelaJ
Posted by

hmm the liquorice one sounds intriguing, will definitely try that, chamomile I don't think has much of a taste, found a really nice apple and pear which I didn't like at first but has really grown on me.  Ive never drank coffee before as I'm scared it will make my heart race too much (causes me to pass out with POTS), I like caffeine free tea but was worried that the tannins would be an irritant, think I read it somewhere on here.  Raising my BP would be a great thing as its currently very low which is part of the POTS problem.  Its one thing I want to check with the chemo nurse as Im not sure if chemo might drop my BP.

Pamela x

Piya10
Posted by

Hi

I was told to avoid caffeine during my treatment. I think it might have been because of the chemo, I can't remember sorry. Just as well I was already drinking Rooibos tea. I never had any problems with it irritating but, did find that I had to let drinks cool quite a bit as too hot was uncomfortable.

All the best

Tricia

Piya10
PamelaJ
Posted by

Im meeting with the chemo nurse next week to go over things and have bloods taken so will ask her about caffeine.  I have to say I only once had rooibos and i did not like it at all, I could taste it for hours after - I was pregnant at the time, so not sure if that was why

Pamela

Anon123
Posted by

Nualtra Food link complete.

During my wife’s 6 week high dose radiotherapy to her head and neck following parotidectomy, the above liquid food mix was prescribed by the hospital and subsequently her GP.

it was all she had for a couple of months.

it really did save the day...

PamelaJ
Posted by

I had a call to say they will do my PEG on Thursday afternoon, they will keep me in for 72 hours after which was a bit of a shock, but at least its getting done so less worry about fluids and my consciousness. Readyish to start treatment Monday, its all becoming a bit too real!!

Pamela

Beesuit
Posted by

And breathe

I suppose it’s easier to keep an eye on your recovery and any discomfort issues 

Best of luck. 
Just shout if you want anything explained or just somebody to scream at. 
Take one day at a time and those weeks will pass. 

Dani
Squamous Cell Carcinoma base of tongue diagnosed September 2018. T2N0M0. 67Gy radiotherapy over six weeks December/January 2018/19

PamelaJ
Posted by

My world has been turned upside down again, PEG cancelled and all treatment cancelled as I have tested positive for covid, I have no idea how as we have not been out, I have been so careful and worn a mask everywhere, washed and / sanitised my hands frequently, I have no symptoms at the moment, waiting for them to arrive in the next day or so, they think I am pre symptomatic. Social services are trying to arrange something for my children in the event that Im incapacitated, don't think I've ever been so scared in my life.  Till now I thought cancer was scary

Pamela

LindaWT
Posted by

Oh Pamela, what a shock for you!  I suppose if you can take a positive from this at least they will keep an eye on you and take all precautions to ensure you get timely treatment if required.

I'm pleased arrangements are being made for your children just in case.

I hope you get through this with the slightest of symptoms and can then get back on track to start your treatment.  

Wishing you all the best.

Linda x

Beesuit
Posted by

Pamela. It will hopefully only set you back 2 weeks. What did they say about resuming treatment? I might seriously think about forgetting the PEG and going for a reactive NG tube. That way you can get cracking. 
I hope you’re one of the multitude who don’t suffer symptoms. 
Got my fingers crossed for you 

Dani