We understand that people with cancer are worried about coronavirus. Here is the latest guidance. We will update it regularly.

Head and neck cancer

A place for people affected by head and neck cancers, including oral, throat , larynx (voice box), salivary glands, middle ear, and sinus and nasopharyngeal cancer. Support one another, ask questions, and share experiences.

Here we go round the Mulberry Bush

Drivermason
Posted by

Hi Mo, I’m really sorry to read all of this. You’re certainly going through the mill.

We’ve had a 12 week isolation text too but we have 2 boys at home to walk the dogs.

What sicknote are you waiting for? I understand there are going to be some Corona sick notes available directly from 111 but I’m certain you would be entitled to a sicknote from your GP anyway if you need one for work or to be able to claim benefits.

I used to work for DWP so I’ll help any way that I can.

Yes my hubby used to shout and hit out during the night when he was having his treatment. We don’t have a spare room so even though he’s the 12 week isolation one we are still sleeping in the same bed but I’m isolating myself with him. 

I think we’re all shedding a few tears right now so you’re not alone xx

Sharon xx

Hubby - Left tonsil squamous cell carcinoma P16 positive with neck nodes T1N1M0 - 30 fractions of radiotherapy and 6 weeks of chemotherapy, Cisplatin in December / January 2019/20

Me - Invasive lobular breast cancer - Grade 2, Stage 2 - mastectomy October 2019 - 15 fractions of radiotherapy December / January 2019/20 

St Bernard Lady
Posted by

Hi All Surgery been cancelled again apparently consultant sick now booked for Monday.  Told you all it was the mulberry bush...  So decided to drink my bottle of champagne from fridge and clapped the NHS in the street which I found quite emotional and was reduced to tears.  Keep safe all, I am a little squiffy to say the least but need to sleep so goodnight one and all.  xx Mo

RadioactiveRaz
Posted by

Hi Mo

Heres your  thought for Friday, you  will wake up with a hangover and still be able able to clap for next 3 night so bonus. All will go ahead when consultant at his / her tip top condition to give yyoung the outcome you deserve. You can do this you’ve come this far .

weve been clapping in Spain now for 14 days and it’s still gets to me every night .

night night Hazel paracetamols in the morning me thinks 

Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz,wordpress.com.

i give a honest account of my experiences with tonsil cancer 

T2N2NM equals tumour size 2-4 cm 2 affected lymph nodes  later changed to several after pet ct scan NM no distant metastatic .35 radiotherapy sessions and 2 out if 3 planned cisplatin chemotherapy sessions.   

chris2012
Posted by

Thanks for the update Mo, let's hope it all goes ahead for Monday, fingers crossed. I Don't blame you for having a drink or two, we also did the clapping, it was quite emotional. Yes keep safe and let's hope the next post is positive news, take care, be good.

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it !                Click here to find out more

St Bernard Lady
Posted by

I have spent the last couple of hours in bits.  Had a call to say that Southampton Hospital has cancelled all operations with the exception of dire emergency.  So no surgery for my throat which means no Radiotherapy for my lip.  The way that this has been growing I wont make 12 weeks without serious issues.  No ones fault I know but damn it I felt like the judge had donned his black cap after the phone call.

I hope that the rest of you are fairing better and that any treatment started is being completed.

Take Care

Mo

RadioactiveRaz
Posted by

Hi Mo oh no devastated for you can’t say anything else .Is there  any other hospital surely there gotbti be a cancer hospital somewhere .so so sorry words fail me

ssnsing massive hugs to you and family

Hazel please when you feel like it keep in touch x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

T2N2NM equals tumour size 2-4 cm 2 affected lymph nodes  later changed to several after pet ct scan NM no distant metastatic .35 radiotherapy sessions and 2 out if 3 planned cisplatin chemotherapy sessions.   

LindaWT
Posted by

Hi Mo

Is there any chance of being referred to another hospital for treatment?  I know Southampton has been cancelling everything ready for C19 patients.  I don't know whether other hospitals are doing the same?  Southampton would be my nearest hospital but I was treated at Poole which has an excellent Head and Neck Cancer Clinic.

I'm keeping everything crossed for you.

Linda x

RadioactiveRaz
Posted by

Hi Mo just listened to Sir Simon Stevens’s cheif  of  NHS saying that 50 hospitals are being dedicates  to corona virus ,a question was asked about cancer patients at those hospitals and he said no patient should suffer and be in consultation with their consultants as their are other dedicated cancer hospitals so I think some calls are necessary .looking at yiur details yiu should be surely ones ifvthose patients 

Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

LindaWT
Posted by

I've just been listening to that and thought exactly the same as Hazel.

I would definitely get in touch with your consultant Mo.

Linda x 

PFJTHS
Posted by

I was treated at Southampton and had excellent and fast care having been referred down from Salisbury. 

The problem is I'm not sure we have any dedicated cancer treatment centres down here and Covid-19 is causing all sorts of issues that really it should not if people stopped and thought for 2 minutes.  I would not think any South Coast hospital is faring any better than UHS.

Looking at the latest cancer guidance, as reported on HSJ "...For surgical patients, the lowest prioritisation is where “elective surgery can be delayed for 10-12 weeks with… no predicted negative outcome'. Cancer surgeries categorised as urgent or an emergency will be given top priority..."  That's a few days old so things may have dramatically changed.

I'd certainly be on the phone pushing from my treatment and asking how your case fits into the current clinical model.

Peter
Drivermason
Posted by

I’ve just listened to the Chief of the NHS talking about cancer patients too.

Just to reiterate what Hazel and Linda have said. I would be calling the consultant first thing on Monday to express your concerns and get further info. 

Also as Peter says, it would be interesting to find out how postponing your operation fits in with the current clinical model.

You shouldn’t have to do this but I learned a lot when Ken was having his treatment in that you have to fight and shout up for yourself.

I once had to shout out in the chemo day ward “why have you given my husband the wrong drugs”? It was actually true, they had, however no one was doing anything about it until I shouted and made sure everyone in the ward knew what had happened.

Needs must when the devil drives.

Good luck xx

Sharon xx

Hubby - Left tonsil squamous cell carcinoma P16 positive with neck nodes T1N1M0 - 30 fractions of radiotherapy and 6 weeks of chemotherapy, Cisplatin in December / January 2019/20

Me - Invasive lobular breast cancer - Grade 2, Stage 2 - mastectomy October 2019 - 15 fractions of radiotherapy December / January 2019/20 

RadioactiveRaz
Posted by

Hi Sharon 

Totally agree poor Mo hers is a re occurance plus possibly a new one she definitely needs to shout from the rooftops .

Hope Ken is ok have you tried any of the massages yet on his lymphedema

Hazel xx 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

Beesuit
Posted by

Oh Mo that’s dreadful. 
I would agree with the others. Get straight on to your consultant. Private medical care has supposedly promised to step up to offer NHS cost price treatment. They must have capacity as they are short of all their foreign patients. You have Genesis Care’s Spire Hospital in Southampton and they offer cancer treatment. 
They are at here

Really wishing you well and good luck. 

Dani
Squamous Cell Carcinoma base of tongue diagnosed September 2018. T2N0M0. 67Gy radiotherapy over six weeks December/January 2018/19
The blog is my personal cancer journey, warts and all. 

Drivermason
Posted by

Morning Hazel

Ive certainly found out that you have to fight and stick up for yourself when you have cancer!!

So in the end Ken didn’t physically go to the hospital for his appointment, we did it over the phone.

All of his side effects are normal including his restless legs and dizziness.

He has started massaging his lymphedema often. He’s having trouble sleeping on a night (while I’m happily snoring) so he tells me he’s massaging at 4am!!

We liked ’s suggestion of 100 strokes whilst visiting the loo too!!

Hope you are keeping well over in sunny Spain. Raining and miserable here today.

Sharon xx

RadioactiveRaz
Posted by

Morning Shariny

seems like Ken getting his sense of humour back lol re the 100 strokes he should be so lucky. 

Yes a friend of ours has telephone consultation Thursday he is like me 20 month post radiotherapy.

Yes agree we have now to fight for everything ,hope Ken is getting enough hydration.

rain we’ve had 24 hours rain !!!! Torrential but lock down now another 15 days so 13 April thunk we will get another  round as well

Kerp  in touch H xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz