Head and neck cancer

A place for people affected by head and neck cancers, including oral, throat , larynx (voice box), salivary glands, middle ear, and sinus and nasopharyngeal cancer. Support one another, ask questions, and share experiences.

Eating meat,fish etc.

RadioactiveRaz
Posted by

Hi for me it was a good 12 month before lasagna came back into my diet even now I can’t tolertate much hime made min e dishes am ok with processed one side nit ideal but better than nothing. I used to use butter to help things slip down my throat if u was trying a cottage pie mark n spencer type add extra butter on top , I used to have small cakes with ice cream or cream on to get extra calories in. Poached eggs on toast with a smashed avocado on top of toast ok didn’t eat the crusts plus designer breads were out plain old white sliced ,now I have progressed into sour dough. .

Mayo for me can still be problematic I know some are ok with it , have you tried a thin home made leek and potato soup in early day so I could manage that on the Luke warm side .

It does improve it really doesn’t take time for some of us longer than others, niw I can go out for food as long as u am careful what I choose, puddings are always ok .

if you are  fish  I found cod much easier than haddock always in batter never breadcrumbs too harsh.

Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz,wordpress.com.

i give a honest account of my experiences with tonsil cancer 

LindaWT
Posted by

I agree with you Hazel - I also find green leafy veg too difficult at the moment.  They tend to get stuck in my throat.  Sprouts though are great, especially roasted!  I can also eat chips made from Maris Piper potatoes but only a few.  

Olive oil has proved a bit of a saviour the last few months, especially as I can't eat dressings.  I seem to smother most foods in it!

Close family have begun to get used to my 'faddy' eating but most people really don't understand how food can be fine one minute but not the next.  Sometimes 2 mouthfuls is all I find palatable or can manage to swallow.  At least I have some regulars to fall back on!  And yes, I'm grateful every day that things aren't a lot worse.

Keep safe.

Linda x

RadioactiveRaz
Posted by

Hi linda

Sprouts are deffo a step too far even on a good day  didn't eat them prior to treatment But roast cauliflower as a cauliflower steak is divine !!!

weve got a family birthday meal  coming up on Wednesday consensus is a Brazilian all you can eat meat fest so I expect your sympathy as I play with the food whilst thinking £27 for this lol  but  can’t dictate  all the time so will have an Ensure in my bag as well .

happy days Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz,wordpress.com.

i give a honest account of my experiences with tonsil cancer 

Piya10
Posted by

Hi

I am almost 4 months post RT and do find the whole food thing a rollercoaster. I couldn't get near tomato sauce during treatment, too bitter, but can now and find that homemade foods for me are better as ready meals tend to be more gloopy and resemble wall paper paste as a texture. Also, I found that the colder a food got, the harder it became to eat, which is all very well if you can eat at normal speed. So, I will leave half my baked sweet potato ( a godsend) in the oven until I've finished the first so that the fibres in the 2nd half are still warm and not dried out. Same with jacket potato which I smother with butter and sour cream, sour cream being a new go to for other dishes like lasagne, chilli etc, I find it less bitter than mayo. Think outside the box and have cream with things you wouldn't normally. I also found that at the pub, hubby ordering his own food and me perhaps a bowl of soup, meant I could steal bits of his food without feeling emotionally intimidated by a large plate, whilst being able to try many different foods. Cooks frozen meals (single portions) were good as hubby ate the majority and I got the saucy bits and just added extra cream if I had to and (as others mention) some roasted veg in Olive oil, tasty and easier to eat. Hope some of the above helps.